Help choose next pack rifle (3 options)

Which lightweight rifle would you choose?

• Browning X-Bolt Pro in burnt bronze ($1,650)

• Christensen Arms Ridgeline ($1,930)

• Kimber Mountain Ascent ($1,620)

• (Late addition - Barrett Fieldcraft ($1,622))

Results are only viewable after voting.
Barrett, you have to fondle it, I KNOW they shoot tiny groups, Timney Trigger easy to adjust to 1.5#
Browning XBolt Long Range (Heavier) I KNOW they shoot tiny groups, aftermarket trigger is available from Jard, I think Timney now, since the rifles are SO popular

Ridgeline and Kimber may be fine but I have no hands on experience.

Just curious, and I have not read through the thread yet, why was the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness or Backcountry not an option? Both come in .30-06, with bottom metal or detachable magazine (.5 lb lighter), OEM with a nice lightened Bell and Carlson stock, #2 fluted barrel, the Backcountry has a nice gray cerakote OEM, and of course the aftermarket options for them are beginning to rival the rem 700 (Which they can already use the 700's rings and bases).

I own 2 now in .30-06 and .270 Winchester and they are great, lightweight, accurate rifles and eat up most quality factory ammunition (I have not started reloading for them yet). Both seem to prefer the Barnes Vortx loads, the 06 prefers 168s and the 270 prefers 130's.

One other thing, the huge recoil lug on the vanguards make them extremely easy to bed... but the wilderness and Backcountry come bedded already (Only around the lug though). Also the Weatherby stock style and the B&C recoil pad really seem to do a good job of mitigating the light rifle/heavy recoil of the 30-06...

Add a drop in Timney trigger and voila my perfect lightweight hunting rifle.

Just thought I'd throw another fly into the ointment...

Last edited:
**Can't change the title but based on some awesome feedback from you guys, I added the Barrett Fieldcraft to the list**

I have decided that I need to add a light weight pack rifle to my safe. I'm going to be getting rid of a couple 8+lb (scoped) rifles to make room for the new addition. I have also narrowed down the caliber selection to 30-06. Yes, I know short action will save some weight but I like the flexibility of the 30-06, have all the reloading supplies for -06 and that will be one of the heavier rifles I'll be removing from the safe which this new one will be replacing. Beyond knowing I want light weight in 30-06 with at least 1:10 twist, I'm wide open.
I thought I wanted a Kimber but scouring the reviews, there is a lot of bad press about lack of customer support and poor shooting/poor quality control. That gave me pause and I started looking at other comparable rifles in weight/price.
I currently own a Ridgeline in 300 Rum and absolutely love that rifle. Not the lightest but also not horrible. It is the most expensive on the list and like Kimber, Christensen Arms has a reputation they're looking to restore.
The X-Bolt pro has rave reviews but as far as looks go, I much prefer the style of the Kimber or Christensen Arms with the carbon barrel. At the end of the day however, this is a hunting rifle and looks are not the priority.
Right now I think I'd be happy with any one of these. At the prices listed (current price in cart including shipping and tax), which do you pick and why? Any and all thoughts, comments, experience welcome and appreciated!

HS precision makes a nice one I have it in 270wsm

Just curious, and I have not read through the thread yet, why was the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness or Backcountry not an option? Both come in .30-06, with bottom metal or detachable magazine (.5 lb lighter), OEM with a nice lightened Bell and Carlson stock, #2 fluted barrel, the Backcountry has a nice gray cerakote OEM, and of course the aftermarket options for them are beginning to rival the rem 700 (Which they can already use the 700's rings and bases).

I own 2 now in .30-06 and .270 Winchester and they are great, lightweight, accurate rifles and eat up most quality factory ammunition (I have not started reloading for them yet). Both seem to prefer the Barnes Vortx loads, the 06 prefers 168s and the 270 prefers 130's.

One other thing, the huge recoil lug on the vanguards make them extremely easy to bed... but the wilderness and Backcountry come bedded already (Only around the lug though). Also the Weatherby stock style and the B&C recoil pad really seem to do a good job of mitigating the light rifle/heavy recoil of the 30-06...

Add a drop in Timney trigger and voila my perfect lightweight hunting rifle.

Just thought I'd throw another fly into the ointment...

This is the exact same rifle (270) I was convinced on for my wife this year out west. I'm glad to hear your having good luck with it.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions guys! This was the most difficult time I've ever had picking out a rifle I think. I went back and forth on 308 or 30-06 several times and in the end, decided to stick with the 30-06 simply because I want the extra oomph I get from the 06 with heavy bullets. The next most important thing was to keep it as light as possible and also (hopefully) be accurate and easy to reload for. After looking at all the options and price points, I ended up ordering the Barrett Fieldcraft. Several other great options out there but through their Military and LE program, it was too good of a deal to pass up. I appreciate the support Barrett provides military and law enforcement personnel and am very much looking forward to seeing what this rifle is capable of.
Thanks again everyone for the great suggestions!

I doubt you will be disappointed. Great choice!

I have an acquaintance that manages a large gun shop with a good deal of internet business.

He has owned most every brand, but confided that in the future his personal rifles will wear the Barrett or Cooper logo.

Last edited:
Hoping to get out this weekend and get her sighted/broken in. If it shoots half as good as it looks and feels, I'll be a very happy camper.
20190307_184035.jpg 20190307_191007.jpg

Looks super!

I am sure it will shoot as good as it looks, based on reading probably 100 outstanding reviews. But in the unlikely event that it doesn't, I am certain Ronnie Barrett will make it right.

I like the Kimbers too, but between the two I think the Barrett has the average out-of-box accuracy edge.

If I was a backpack hunter, I'd be toting a Fieldcraft or Kimber.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.