Help choose next pack rifle (3 options)

Which lightweight rifle would you choose?

• Browning X-Bolt Pro in burnt bronze ($1,650)

• Christensen Arms Ridgeline ($1,930)

• Kimber Mountain Ascent ($1,620)

• (Late addition - Barrett Fieldcraft ($1,622))

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is the exact same rifle (270) I was convinced on for my wife this year out west. I'm glad to hear your having good luck with it.

The Timney trigger is worth the investment with these rifles. Pop on some lightweight talley rings and your lighter weight scope of choice and what a beautiful rig it is!

check gunbroker for a field craft you can pick them up new for around $1300
$1,300 would be a steal! I had been trolling gunbroker and all the other online sites that typically have good deals but didn't see any below $1600...in 30-06 at least. The little 6mm is going for around that price from what I saw though.

Can you share your experience? Thanks
Last weekend I got the rifle sighted in and started the break-in. Only have 60 rounds down the tube at this point with cheap PPU ammo. I'll save my final verdict for once I start load development for this rifle but as a whole, the fit and finish is exactly what you'd expect from a Barrett and the rifle shoulders nicely. Worth noting I'm a lefty and it still fits me well. Obviously it would be better if they had this is a lefty model but it's an ambi-friendly stock.
It' kicks as you would expect from a light rifle but isn't as bad as some made it out to be. Way less than my 338 Win Mag. I do wish they had a threaded barrel on all of the Fieldcraft rifles however. Definitely something they need to address in version 2.0....assuming/hoping it comes at least.
Very happy with the rifle though and hope to start doing some seating depth testing this weekend with 175 VLDs, 178 ELDX and 180 Accubonds. Depending on how that goes, I also plan to test some various 200 grain pill and maybe 212 ELDX.

3639E4FC-853B-43F2-B361-E35699DD2E60.png
$1,300 would be a steal! I had been trolling gunbroker and all the other online sites that typically have good deals but didn't see any below $1600...in 30-06 at least. The little 6mm is going for around that price from what I saw though.
You gotta look harder I guess

View attachment 126745
You gotta look harder I guess
I searched by using the dropdown menus and sorting by manufacture. That rifle never showed up. I also manually searching "Barrett Fieldcraft" and after seeing what you posted, just searched "Fieldcraft" and 'Barr" by itself and still that rifle doesn't show (screenshots attached).
It appears as though the one you posted is not searchable or listed in some weird way. I would have absolutely jumped on that one though unless there is ridiculous taxes and fees added in once you go to checkout. That list price is well below their military/LE discounted pricing but there is no tax or added fees when purchasing direct from Barrett either.
Barr.JPG Fieldcraft1.JPG Fieldcraft.JPG

P3141635.jpg
View attachment 129707 WELLLL... since I own a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro I cast a vote for it.
6 lbs. 1 oz. "naked".

Yes, other mountain rifles are lighter but the X-Bolt Pro has a lot of goodies that I wanted and the price for them was quite reasonable. And it has a 22" barrel, not a truncated 20" barrel like the SAKO 85 Carbonlite, so you don't lose much velocity from the "standard" 24" 6.5 CM barrel. (And, if you want a longer barrel you can get the X-bolt Pro Long Range with a 26" barrel in any offered caliber and a 1:7 twist in 6.5 CM.)

PLUS it is about $900. or so less money than the very similar SAKO 85 Carbonlite. The ONLY thing the Carbonlite has over the X-Bolt Pro is a controlled feed bolt. Deer and elk won't notice the difference nor will you.

Yeah, some will say, "Oh, but the SAKO quality etc. etc."
Uh huh...
I do not think for one second that SAKO's Finnish workers make a better rifle than Miroku's Japanese workers.
Both have excellent materials and quality. Both have very good triggers, out-of-the-box accuracy, great carbon fiber stocks and clever design features like bolt unlock buttons while keeping the rifle on SAFE.

Eric B.
BTW, Browning now offers many X-Bolt models in the 6.5 PRC. Had it been offered when I got my 6.5 CM I would have got that cartridge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.