Help! Can't believe this happened

smokin502

Rifle is a 300wm and was shooting at the range just an hour ago. Groups were wider than normal. Then really opened up about 3" left. The last shot was a ragged hole like it was sideways. Anyone seen this before and if so what the heck causes it? Have less than 300 rounds down this pipe and brake. The brake is Ultradyne Apollo Max. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20220211_112433.jpg
    20220211_112433.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 851
Some additional pics

Attachments

• Picture_20222811012834.jpg
    Picture_20222811012834.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 617
  • Picture_20222811012818.jpg
    Picture_20222811012818.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 616
  • Picture_20222711012746.jpg
    Picture_20222711012746.jpg
    641 KB · Views: 595
  • Picture_20222711012707.jpg
    Picture_20222711012707.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 607
  • Picture_20222111012124.jpg
    Picture_20222111012124.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 623
Looks like a clear bullet strike. Only one I ever had was because I failed to check it. I don't wrench them down. Just loosen and snug like I do my shotgun chokes several times a day.

Some additional pics
The short explanation is "it blew up".

The cause would be either it was struck by a bullet or multiple bullets until it failed or there was a flaw in the metal itself causing it to self destruct under pressure.

Either way, the MFG needs to be notified and your rifle really needs a trip to the gunsmith.

My guess assuming this isn't a new install would be that it came loose and in that event your threads may be ruined.

If it was a new install, there's a good chance it was not properly aligned with the bore.

Looks like a clear bullet strike. Only one I ever had was because I failed to check it. I don't wrench them down. Just loosen and snug like I do my shotgun chokes several times a day.
Wasn't loose, it took 2 wrenches to break it loose. I was thinking it was pressure because I didn't see any bullet markings in it and all the shots were pretty straight. I was also thinking if it did hit the brake then the bullet would bounce like a pin ball machine and blow the whole thing off. I also was checking on their website and my caliber is not listed as an approved round for that brake. So maybe it was pressure that caused it. Who knows at this point

The short explanation is "it blew up".

The cause would be either it was struck by a bullet or multiple bullets until it failed or there was a flaw in the metal itself causing it to self destruct under pressure.

Either way, the MFG needs to be notified and your rifle really needs a trip to the gunsmith.

My guess assuming this isn't a new install would be that it came loose and in that event your threads may be ruined.

If it was a new install, there's a good chance it was not properly aligned with the bore.
The brake was installed by a gunsmith when I replaced the barrel. About 300 rds through both.

The brake was installed by a gunsmith when I replaced the barrel. About 300 rds through both.
My bet then is that it either worked loose enough to get cockeyed or it was cut from a really bad piece of steel, likely with air bubbles nobody could see.

That kind of damage can only happen either through contact with the bullet or through material failure.

Wasn't loose, it took 2 wrenches to break it loose. I was thinking it was pressure because I didn't see any bullet markings in it and all the shots were pretty straight. I was also thinking if it did hit the brake then the bullet would bounce like a pin ball machine and blow the whole thing off. I also was checking on their website and my caliber is not listed as an approved round for that brake. So maybe it was pressure that caused it. Who knows at this point
Your answer may be on your target, you said the last shot keyholed, was it the whole bullet, or just the jacket of the bullet?
Getting 300 rds through it before the meltdown says it was aligned properly, I cannot wait for the explanation!