Help! Can't believe this happened

Wasn't loose, it took 2 wrenches to break it loose. I was thinking it was pressure because I didn't see any bullet markings in it and all the shots were pretty straight. I was also thinking if it did hit the brake then the bullet would bounce like a pin ball machine and blow the whole thing off. I also was checking on their website and my caliber is not listed as an approved round for that brake. So maybe it was pressure that caused it. Who knows at this point
Still, they need to replace it. What if you didn't see some idiot suddenly walk nearby, (or maybe someone 20' away) & they got hit by shrapnel?

Wasn't loose, it took 2 wrenches to break it loose. I was thinking it was pressure because I didn't see any bullet markings in it and all the shots were pretty straight. I was also thinking if it did hit the brake then the bullet would bounce like a pin ball machine and blow the whole thing off. I also was checking on their website and my caliber is not listed as an approved round for that brake. So maybe it was pressure that caused it. Who knows at this point
I just posted my experience and made no accusation towards you or what you may have done. I have no information to identify the cause nor would I ever make a statement or post accusing anything unless I knew factually what happened and was asked by the person.
I wish you the best in identifying the cause.

I noticed a little damage on the first baffle on my 300 Win Mag.These open type brakes really reduced the felt recoil to the shooter,but it must be really hard on the brake because the blast is quickly
20210218_203211.jpg
directed to the side 180 degrees instead of 360 degrees like some breaks.

Did you clean your rifle before this last trip to the range? I saw this happen once before and the gent had damaged the crown of his rifle during his prior cleaning session. This caused the bullet to deflect and after about 5 rounds of minor strikes to the Brake it finally came apart. Check the crown of your rifle.

I would bet that there was a flaw in the material. If the brake was still wrenched on tight, it had been shooting good with this brake prior, and then started doing this, it would seem pressure caused the first baffle to fracture, then causing the subsequent rounds to group as they did. Never a bad idea to have a smith double check things, but hopefully just a muzzle brake replacement is all that is needed. Another member on here that I know personally had the same thing happen right before a big hunt with a well known muzzle brake manufacturer. Sometimes flawed material slips through the qc cracks. It can happen unfortunately.

I noticed a little damage on the first baffle on my 300 Win Mag.These open type brakes really reduced the felt recoil to the shooter,but it must be really hard on the brake because the blast is quickly View attachment 340509directed to the side 180 degrees instead of 360 degrees like some breaks.
By todays standards, that is a poorly designed brake, there really is no open blast chamber, coupled with the fact that first hole is extremely close to the muzzle. I'd almost bet that the space between the muzzle, and that first hole is trying to act like a port but can't.
The days of using old barrels instead of machining harder stock and maybe treating them to a nitriding should be over with.

I believe a bullet hit the brake. The hit was caused by threads misaligned to the bore either in the brake or on the barrel or both. A flaw in the brake material doesn't make sense since a brake can be made out of aluminum (it will wear faster but it will not fail), which is likely much weaker than "flawed" steel. A good machinist is needed to find out which misalignment is the cause.

Did you clean your rifle before this last trip to the range? I saw this happen once before and the gent had damaged the crown of his rifle during his prior cleaning session. This caused the bullet to deflect and after about 5 rounds of minor strikes to the Brake it finally came apart. Check the crown of your rifle.
I didn't clean it before going. I had recently went and only shot about 20-30 rds, then went again a week later. I'll take a pic of the crown and post it