What Happened To This Bullet ?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Wedgy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

I found this the other day in the dirt next to the bench. It's a .30 caliber and weighs 229.9 grains, it looks like a Berger. It didn't get fired as there are no rifling marks but it sure looks like it hit something, or something hit it. Maybe something stuck in the barrel ? I'm not sure but I think I'm glad I wasn't there to see it. b5.jpg b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg

2. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

My guess is someone short cycled a bolt rifle and then tried to force a loaded cartridge from the magazine into the chamber while the last cartridge was still somewhat in the chamber. Could have been about the same scenario with a semi-auto too. Some kinda jam.

3. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

It of weird striations on the bullet....looks like someone had it loaded at one time..maybe......maybe screwed it up pulling it out of brass and then maybe did some tinkering to see how it was built....looks like it has been cut or dremeled.....but again could have been gouged by another piece of metal...
    Berger or mono....

4. Wedgy

Wedgy Well-Known Member

It is a lead bullet, not mono.

5. 26Reload

I like this game....
    Okay....picture this....whether or not the was another cartridge...
    The shape of the from of the Bullet is definitely stretched toward...
    Gouged and stretched forward....bottom of the bolt grabbed the bullet as it was slid forward of the magazine....
    If that's what you mean by short cycled....absolutely.....almost done this very thing a couple times thru the years.....
    But with that much damage and contorted...i bet tbere was a rifle full of free flowing powder......

6. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I was talking about. Usually happens when the shooter forgets that they already brought the bolt back and started to push a cartridge into the chamber. They then pull the bolt back to pickup another cartridge and push it forward. Because the rifle is not "controlled round feed" the first round is just setting there not in the chamber yet, and the user tries to force the bolt closed. The pic is pretty much what you can end up with. This guy must have been pretty determined to close the bolt!

J E Custom likes this.
  7. 26Reload

Yes...very determined.....thats a huge screw up.....

Hse0785 likes this.
  8. sedancowboy

sedancowboy Well-Known Member

I think it might be a bullet stuck in the throat and he ran a rod down the muzzle to knock it out.

T3ninja, Dosh, lancetkenyon and 2 others like this.
  9. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Some guys are too strong for their own good. I know a guy who rammed a grease cartridge upside down in a grease gun when he was 16.

Barrelnut likes this.
  10. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

Looks like someone forgot to switch from their sizing die to the seating die and jammed the bullet up in between the decaping rod/expander ball and the inside of the die when they went to seat the bullet.

11. Jerry M

Jerry M Well-Known Member

Someone used it as a target and hit it...

Hired Gun likes this.
  12. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I think happened.
    Have had the same, luckily, with a 22 cal rod on a 30 cal bullet. It popped right out with a few whacks.
    My buddy had the same.........jammed the bullet AND the rod solidly in the bore!
    Had to remove the barrel (switch barrel rifle luckily) and use a brass rod to tap the bullet and rod out. There was a small nick in one land, barrel still shot very well afterwards.

Cheers.
    :D

13. can1010

can1010 Well-Known Member

how about the simple explanation. screw up at factory setting up presses and slipped past quality control then somebody took to show friends what he found in his box of bullets

14. xsn10s

xsn10s Well-Known Member

The Russians are at it again.

Hse0785, Button and Barrelnut like this.