Help appreciated concerning BALvar 6x24x scope on 22-250

wildcat westerner

I have acquired an older single shot Mauser actioned 22-250 with a Myrtle stock, beautifully checkered and a BALvar 6x24 scope. This is the first one of these scopes I have ever seen and I do have the manual already for this scope.

While the rifle is in really fine shape for however long it has been built, the 26" barrel throat is shot out. So, the barrel has to be set back and that means some work has to be done regarding the scope. The front ring could be redrilled for the scope base when the barrel is set back. As you can see in the image that would also place the two rings closer together and this the external adjustments will be coarser. A specialized varmint rifle shooting 22 bullets at near Swift velocities should have a finely scope adjustments.

So, I am hoping to get some experienced insights as to whether I can move the rear adjustment mounts from the front, larger ring of the action to the rear ring. Mechanically I know a proper spacer would have to be added since the rear ring is smaller so the proper scope height is maintained. With this length increase between the two scope rings the scope adjustment would be finer, logically.

Is there anyone out there who has dealt with these scopes and done such a modification? The last thing I want to do somehow damage this unique scope, still prized by 22 rimfire shooters. Bushnell bought out B&L and while willing to help me, they simply lack the expertise to advise me. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Balvar 6X24.jpg
    Balvar 6X24.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 36