Qualtiy Scope vs budget - help appreciated!

ShanMan

Fellow LRH's, I would greatly appreciate some advice! I have recently purchased a Winchester M70 Super Grade in .270 and am in the process of buying a scope for it. I plan on saving up for a few months if needed.

The obvious brand name scopes are Leupold, Nikon..etc...

As for the shooting range, it will depend on the animal. I hunt mainly white tail, mule deer, coyotes and javelina. Hopefully an elk hunt is in the future, too.

Any scope recommendations? I plan on eventually hand loading with VLD's in the future to get the most out of the .270

God bless & safe shooting

when some folks say they want a budget scope they mean 1000 bucks. when some folks say they want a budget scope they mean 50 bucks. what does a budget scope mean to you

Sorry I should have been more clear on that point. Around $500-600 dollars.

Last edited:
Vortex viper and Busnell elite tactical are what I look for in that price range. What kind of magnification are you looking for? Fixed or variable power? How far are you going to be shooting? (how much adjustment do you need?)

I was hoping for something in the range of 4-16 power. That seems the most versatile to me. I will be using it on my .270 win with a 24 inch barrel. Eventually I will do hand loads with Berger bullets the VLD's to try to get the most out of the caliber at further ranges. I will take the .270 as far as it can go.

The hunting here in TX where I live is short range mostly, and I have other rifles for that. But the hunting out in AZ is a lot more open and presents further range shots on mulies/coyotes/javelina. I have looked at the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 power and it seems like it may be a great option, but I may wait until they come out with the FFP in that model later this year. It will mean spending more, but I think it may be worth the investment...what are your thoughts?

As far as distance, the max distance would probably be 800 -900 yards if I can push it that far for targets and hunting will be on whatever I end up feel comfortable after practice to make an ethical shot.

Sounds like your on track with the viper. If I were you I would check out the Bushnell elite tactical 6500 2.5x16x42 as well. I really like there 4200 scopes.

Sounds like your on track with the viper. If I were you I would check out the Bushnell elite tactical 6500 2.5x16x42 as well. I really like there 4200 scopes.

For less than $600 there are several very options. But as discussed here you don't really to look any further than the Bushnell Elites or Vipers. Excellent scopes for the money. I have a 4200 and a PST.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.