Jack O'Conners 22-250 and its Balvar 6x24 scope

wildcat westerner

Some years ago, when in Idaho I was shown a varmint rifle. I instantly recognized it as an exact copy of Jack O'Conners' varmint rifle pictured years ago in Outdoor Life magazine. For the younger reader, Jack O'Conner was the dean of outdoor firearms writers and he popularized sheep hunting. I remember reading about his rifle. The Mauser action was shortened to better fit the 22-250 cartridge, It had double triggers and a heavy, long barrel. The stock was heftier for shooting off a rest or bags. Atop the weapon was this huge scope with a spring on it. It was a Bausch and Lomb Balvar 6x24X scope when variable scopes virtually did not exist. That scope had wonderful optics and external adjustments, like the old Unertl's.
I have finally purchased this weapon and this article is about that scope. I know nothing about adjusting this scope and would like to receive a manual for the Balvar 6x24. A PDF file would be great. I would like to know more about this scope and where anyone can get it repaired and how to maintain it properly. The reason I am sure I was able to trade for it is that the throat imust be gone in that hot cartridge, after all these years.. Since the barrel is so long, setting it back and rechambering will be no problem. I am still appreciative of all the work that had to be accomplished correctly to shorten that Mauser action, before short actions were even available.
WW