Help 270 win load for deer

Since I am in CA, I have been studying the copper bullets for the 270 win.

OK, so far, this is all from ballistic studying, charts, and published data, not my own data yet.

I have narrowed it down to either the GS custom 110 or 117 with Norma 203B as the place I will be starting from. Leaning toward the 117 for the improved BC.

GS CUSTOM USA - Bullet Technical Profile

For what it is worth I think their bc numbers are quite ambitious and ours are on the conservative side. To get the bc that they are claiming their bullet would have to have a form factor better than nearly every bullet on the market in its weight class. It does not. Their bc claim is that their numbers are only for comparing GS bullets to one another and not to compare to other bullets on the market. Also not sure what the twist is in your 270 but the GS 117g bullet requires 1-9" twist to be fully stable. Our 117g is fully stable in 1-10" twist, which is what most factory chamber 270 are. If you do have a 9" twist we offer a 126g Hammer Hunter that will be fully stable.

I shot a lot of GS bullets prior to making our own. I do think they are very good bullets. They are not always super accurate but they were my favorite bullet for many years and responsible for converting me to a pure copper bullet guy.

Steve

Since I am in CA, I have been studying the copper bullets for the 270 win.

OK, so far, this is all from ballistic studying, charts, and published data, not my own data yet.

I have narrowed it down to either the GS custom 110 or 117 with Norma 203B as the place I will be starting from. Leaning toward the 117 for the improved BC.

Edited to add: It looks like I was typing while Steve was posting. I have no financial interest in the Hammer Company; except for them to stay in business so I can buy their bullets. Now back to my regularly scheduled post.

GSCustoms are the most accurate bullets I ever used. Here's the problem I had with them.

After dialing them in in a .257 wildcat running the HV85 at 3,919 feet per second I took them hunting. I'm talking about ten shots in 3/4" from a Weatherby mark V Ultralight six lug with an all up weight of six pounds thirteen ounces. The muzzle of the barrel measures .550".

First was a sheep. The guide thought I was missing. At no more than fifty yards I put one through the chest slightly quartering from the rear. It entered the back of the right side of the chest and exited behind the left shoulder. We tracked it for about forty-five minutes and I put another through the chest broadside at maybe 100 yards. It went about fifty yards and laid down with its head up. Only the front of its chest and head were visible. The guide wanted to know if I could "thread one in there" from where we were. Again I put one in the chest. This time it was dead. When he skinned it he guide was surprised all the shots were in the chest.

Next I went to another state to hunt deer. I shot straight on in the chest with the same bullet about fifty yards. It dropped. I casually jacked out the shell and put it in my pocket. The the deer jumped up and started from left to right. Again I put one through the chest almost broadside. I and another guy saw it stumble but continue. After trailing it for about fifteen minutes I came upon it from about twenty feet. Again I shot it in the chest as it got up. It dropped but continued breathing so I shot it in the head.

Then I went hunting in my own state. Again I shot a deer from about sixty yards quartering from the right rear. The shot entered near the right hip and angled forward and exited right behind the left shoulder. At the shot it disappeared into some trees. I waited to see what would happen incase it was not dead. About two minutes elapsed and it came out of the trees dragging its hind quarters. The place is very steep so it was able to travel quickly. Again I put one broadside through the chest. It continued for another twenty-five yards and got tangled up in a downed pine tree. I put one through the neck to finish it.

I am very sorry to post these real life experiences about this company's bullets because I really like the owners.

You might try https://hammerbullets.com/. I had the pleasure of trying these early on. In fact I have the dubious distinction of killing the first two deer that were taken with these bullets. I took them without incident with their 101 grain bullet developed for the .300 Blackout. I cheated by using them in a .308 at 3,200 feet per second. I recovered one from each deer. Both weighed about sixty-five grains. The amount of devastation inside was amazing. I bought some of their 125 grain 6.5's for my 6.5SLR wildcat that replaced the .257SLR and will use their 177 grainers in my long range 7mm.

I called Honardy to ask the maximum load for their .277 145 gn ELD-X bullets. They said the max charge of H4831SC is 59.9 grains. I noticed that the ELD-X bullets seem to not show pressure signs as soon as other bullets and Honardy confirmed that the ELD-X bullet produces less pressure and that it can be loaded hotter.

I've not used the ELD-X in the 270 yet. Mine's a Rem 700 with a 27" Krieger tube and I've used the Hornady 140 BTSP Interlock almost exclusively in it for like, forever. Every time I switched to something else I was very disappointed with terminal performance compared to it. It's dropped Wisconsin whitetail at all ranges - the longest being about 485 yards - pretty swiftly. The other pills I've used have done the job, just not with the DRT performance of the Interlock. The longer barrel loves the slower powders though so my loads may not do the same for you but for years I loaded IMR7828. 58gr gives me about 3015fps into a 1/2" group - no pressure signs whatsoever. Recently I've been loading 60gr of IMR7977 with the same bullet at 3050fps, also into a sub 1/2" group. It's likely this rifle will never see another load in my lifetime, though the ELD-X is tempting. I do use the 200s and the 212s in my 300 Winnie.

I have loade 58 gr h4831 using sierra 130 spitzaer and berger 130 hunting for over 30 yrs (sierra 30 and berger 7 years) in 5 rem. 700's and it works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.