270 win 85gr Hammer Load Help

Sierra reloading manual has 90gr loading info. H4350 and several other powder loading. See attachment. Most of the match shooter are using H4350 powder. Temp doesn't create a problem with the H type powders. Hornady didn't much in it. Sierra data will get you close. I would load down a little being using Hammer bullets. I don't how they push down the barrel. I am going to use Hammer bullets in my new rifle. All copper bullet can be a little hard to push down the tube, so chamber pressure can be up a little high. That the only cautions that I can think of.

Attachments

• Sierra 270 loading info on 90gr bullets.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Sierra reloading manual has 90gr loading info. H4350 and several other powder loading. See attachment. Most of the match shooter are using H4350 powder. Temp doesn't create a problem with the H type powders. Hornady didn't much in it. Sierra data will get you close. I would load down a little being using Hammer bullets. I don't how they push down the barrel. I am going to use Hammer bullets in my new rifle. All copper bullet can be a little hard to push down the tube, so chamber pressure can be up a little high. That the only cautions that I can think of.
Hammers will show less pressure than a conventional cup and core bullet. No reason to load down. They are not like typical copper bullets that increase pressure.

Trailboss is effective but I found it awfully dirty! If he were to look outside the powders listed I'd be all over finding some H4895 and as that works incredibly well with reduced loads and isn't such a dirty bugger....but dats just me

I'm working up Maker 95 gr .277 in my 270 Win using middle of the road Barnes load data. Several powders mentioned as Barnes has an 85 gr bullet of their own. Started light medium to just over medium loads with no negative issues. This data should get you started.

Trailboss powder…I've used it many times for reducing recoil for new shooters learning to deal with recoil. Check Hornady, etc for appropriate loads.
spit-water-spit.gif

Won't argue with you there. Just trying to help a fellow shooter with some powder choices. Best thing to do would be to talk to the people at Hammer Bullets and get asssistance from them. I have and they are very helpful.

Won't argue with you there. Just trying to help a fellow shooter with some powder choices. Best thing to do would be to talk to the people at Hammer Bullets and get asssistance from them. I have and they are very helpful.
One of the owners of Hammer Bullets is in this thread already

This is incorrect with Hammer Bullets as RockyMtnMT has already stated, you will use more powder with less pressure with Hammers and will most likely end up well above book max for the given bullet choice if you can get enough powder in it to find pressure.
Just for a reference the load that I am shooting in my 270AI with the 117 and the load I'm using is listed in the Hogdon book as a max load for the 90g Sierra

Last edited: