heavy gun rest

wildcat

I am having a 338 lupa magnum improved built. The rifle will weigh approx. 65lbs. I am using the Mcmillan 50 HBR stock that has a 5"forend. I am looking for a rest with elevation and windage adjustments for this type of rifle set up. Does anybody have any suggestions. Thanks, Wildcat.

Wildcat

Try calling these folks and speaking with one of the teachers of the precision machining.
Greater Altoona Career and Technology Center
I bought two of the rests and they are well made and are stout.

Frank Grappone out of Clymer Pa. a Williamsport 1000 yard club member is who I bought mine from Phone #.
I think they were 180 or 200 but have all adjustments needed and will accomodate a wide forearm.
They are projects made by the kids I think in their 3rd year .
I will try and get a picture of one on here. My digital camera is an old model and I have been having trouble with interfacing it with XP os.
Dave

kregg slack - you don't hail from southern UT do you? I'm of slack decent. My great great granddad refused to join The <font color="purple"> NOT </font> well regulated Iron county militia which slaughtered nearly 100 innocent women/children/men on 11 Sept. 1959 near Cedar City.

Do you mind updating your profile with your email so folks can ping you offline. ( <font color="red"> Everyone should check their profile </font>

Here is my vote for the cheapest/best combo. Get a Caldwell lead sled, don't use the elevation bar. Put a Caldwell "Rock BR" rest in front. <ul type="square"> [*]sled from side 1 [*]pinch/wings 2 [*]look 3 [*]Holland QD 3 [*]my bench in the back 4 [*]good look at Rock BR 5 [/list]

This crapy forum software won't allow my [image] tag so here are some links to my setup. This is my 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUM with 30" heavy Lilja pipe, trigger job, excellent Holland QD break (kicks slightly more than my .243 shooting 260 gr Accubonds ) - It's a tack driver but I'm not posting results until I chrono it and get at least 200 yards out. (75 yard results don't count - if they did and I had a micrometer I might be able to tell my group size - I could tell I was not missing the page and hitting exactly the same hole as it got a bit larger each shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Notice the press wings that give you a really tight fit on the stock.

IMAO and using my mathematical theory, I'd skip the lead - go for the heaviest barrel (which will shift the moment forward where you need it to prevent <font color="purple"> The Magnum effect </font> - also adjust the sled so the you are as close as possible (back rest) to the barrel axis.

GoodGroupers experience is worth 1000 pages of my theory tho, but I thought I'd toss out my vote.

Gun weights in at 12 lbs with the 17 oz Loopie VX-III 4.5-14x50 LR (with 70 MOA). Has 30 MOA precant on the rail. One of my favorite things Kirby did was upgrade the base screws from pathetic factory to #8x40
So I think the gun is 11 lbs (bathroom scale measurements BC fanatics will point out the inaccuracy of my scales /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif))
- I can shoot it off hand. The 300 Kirby/Lilja/Savage/RUM Kirby sent me 4 months ago - same Lilja barrel diameter, but .308 v. .375 - and I have trouble holding the 300 offhand (need to hit the weights I guess).

Largest contour without a V-block job.

Thanks, guys for all the help!!! How much does the Caldwell lead sled cost. Thanks, Wildcat.

My 270 Win w/27" Lilja #4 contour w/SS scope, leuy two piece base and 30mm rings, anti cant thinger, and caldwell bipod weighs in at 10.4 lbs on my VA approved/provided (US Gov't) "precision scales". So I should be in good shape with the same as your 375 but in 338 cal. to stay WELL under 16 lbs.

Though, I've heard some say that gravity is a bit less over here due to the type of subterranian compositon. Not only is rifle much lighter but BCs are out of this world /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wildcat,
with the gun you are building it would mash the Caldwell lead sled,that is what we ran into with the MOAG there is NOTHING in your local gun store that will work with this BEHEMOTH. that is why I designed and built the MOAG Rest for the exact stock that you are having done. the problem lies in the fact that it is a one of a kind that I have no idea of how to duplicate or I would quit my day job and start building them. (there is a market)
B

You would think my 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUM would kick harder than the MOAG - but with the excellent QD brake Kirby installed it kicks less than my 270 WSM (shooting 260gr Accubonds).

I've never added weight to my Caldwell Lead Sled. I don't think you could hurt the sled with no weight or even 25 lbs. Loading it to the advertised 100 lbs with a hard kicking gun (with no brake) would crush it - but why build a gun like that without a good brake?

I liked my Lead Sled till I saw your rig. Ignorance is bliss /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.