Shooting rest

Joefrazell

What do you all shoot off if when shooting for groups, load development? Trying to get ideas. I personally do not like lead sleads but like to get as steady as possible during load development.

Adjustable front rest, with sand bags beneath the stock at rear. I do use a PAST recoil shield to help reduce the felt recoil. I don't like to use any recoil devices (lead sled, ect.), as I'm concerned they may effect the groups as compared to a more natural support. After load development, I only shoot from the bench to verify zero prior to hunting season. memtb

I've always used a Caldwell rock front & Protektor leather rear bag(sand filled) as minimum.
I also have a couple of different front bags for the Caldwell for different stock fits.

Ive seen people use sleds but I have never tried one.

Personally I would never use a bipod for a front rest, sure they have there place in the field but when you want to eliminate as many errors as possible I think they can induce error that will show in the test groups.

Bipod and rear bag. Works like a charm for me. I like to shoot for groups and load development just like I shoot in the field.

129AE39C-D35A-46C5-9DBB-7D392FEA9F03.jpeg

I have a lefthanded Sinclair machine rest I bought in 2006; it has a windage top. It's very heavy; guessing about 18 pounds. I paid a paltry $328 for it all those years ago. It's no longer made nor sold. I have had an offer or two to sell it, but I just can't part with it. I've had it so long, it's become part of me. I use the Protektor B13 bunny bag out back...

I have a lefthanded Sinclair machine rest I bought in 2006; it has a windage top. It's very heavy; guessing about 18 pounds. I paid a paltry $328 for it all those years ago. It's no longer made nor sold. I have had an offer or two to sell it, but I just can't part with it. I've had it so long, it's become part of me. I use the Protektor B13 bunny bag out back...

I'd happily give you your $328 for it

Either a bipod and a rear bag or off a pack and a rear bag. Both are extremely stable. You want to get straight behind the rifle and set up such that the rifle wants to recoil straight back into you. If using a bipod, "load it" slightly. Then get settled into your rear bag so that it doesn't want to compress anymore as the gun recoils and rides to the rear. This will help prevent recoil induced vertical stringing. It's by no means the set up for a rail gun but like others have already said, you can shoot pretty good groups this way.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.