Heavy .308 hunting bullets. what would you want?

What weight and feed ability would you like to see? Mag length or single feed. Or both?

• 245 grain single feed for higher BC

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 245 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 250 grain single feed for nigher BC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 250 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • 255 grain single feed for higher BC.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • 255 grain mag feed, less BC then single feed.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Non of the above to heavy!

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Non of the above to light!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above! For the ones that like to just cast a vote but don't care... ;)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Non of the above got what we need already.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

NEMTHunter

Howdy just as the title and poll show. What would you prefer to see for a heavy .308 Hunting bullet with match grade performance of course. This is more geared toward the ones that have a.308 cal rifle that can handle this range of bullet weight. I understand this might not even be what some will want. So there will be a spot for you to pick and you can give your reason down below.

Some of the poll questions for single feed would work with a 4" mag box. You would just be limited to a 2.5 inch long brass for COAL of 3.85". So keep that in mind. Also the obvious would be you could throat shorter and get it to work in 2.85" RUM brass (would be 4.2" with the single feed) and a 4" mag box. But would loose powder capacity. The idea 1.35 out the front for single feed and 1.05 out the front for mag feed.

Feel free to cast your vote and post up if you want of why you picked what you did. The more feedback the better!

Remember the length are for a .25" Throat (free bore) and figuring on a 4" mag box.

You can vote two times. If you do. Please post up why you did.

The more feed back the better! yes that the second time I wrote that. I am looking for feed back. So please show what you want.

Thanks!

Think a BC of .820 Or better from over 3000 fps all the way down to under 1000 FPS.

Last edited:
Too heavy... The 215 Hybrid works great for .30 caliber, as is...And if you need more, the 220 or 230's are already available. Just personal opinion.

Works good for .308 Win, as well as up to the big .30's. Berger is already working on a 245...Which I think will be a flop, unfortunately. You can only get so heavy before it becomes unjustifiable not to just step up to the next diameter caliber. Might as well just build a .338 and shoot the 300gr bullets.

Too heavy... The 215 Hybrid works great for .30 caliber, as is...And if you need more, the 220 or 230's are already available. Just personal opinion.

Works good for .308 Win, as well as up to the big .30's. Berger is already working on a 245...Which I think will be a flop, unfortunately. You can only get so heavy before it becomes unjustifiable not to just step up to the next diameter caliber. Might as well just build a .338 and shoot the 300gr bullets.

Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited:
i havent seen the need yet , but still would like to hear the why for those that might

Well to give you a idea of why I would want a 245 grain bullet. I can shoot the 230 grain bullets up to 3360 and with the right powder over 4000 fps. The 215 class bullets would be over 3500 fps. The right 245 bullet should be 3250 plus in my gun. Not to mention mine is not the biggest .30 cal out there.

If you could shoot a .820 BC 245 grain hunting bullet @ 3250 plus or a .720 BC 230 @ 3400 or a .691 BC bullet @ 3500 what would you do?

The 245 would still be going 1610 A 1700 yards with 40.5 MOA drop and 6.6 MOA wind drift @ 10 MPH the 230 would going 1522 @ 1700 yards with a 40.1 MOA drop and 7.5 MOA drift @ 10 MPH the 215 would be 1527 @ 1700 yards with a 38.6 MOA drop and 7.6 MOA drift @ 10 MPH..

Not much difference is there. BUT as soon as you step out farther for Long range shooting. The 245 would in theory eat the ground up much better. It hits 1100 @ 2600 yards. The 230 hits 1100 @ 2390 yards and the 215 hits 1100 @ 2370 Yards.

I my still try the 215 @3500 and see if it holds up. It would be 336000 RPMS with my twist.... YIKES!!!

It would have to be significantly better than the B.C of the 230gr SMK or the raw combination of speed and B.C of the 215gr Berger. If we're looking at .840 for B.C then I'd take it in a 245-250gr single feed.

But as mentioned above if you're wanting a heavier than 250gr bullet on target why not bump up to 338?

At that end you're starting to get to fairly radical twist rates to stabilize like 1:8 and ideally you'd want a touch more for ELR so like a 1:7.5? Or there the 300gr Berger which gets by in a 1:10

Last edited:
No plans for an ELR rifle with enough oomph to reach out like that.

As a hunting bullet I think we have what we need.

It's really not that big of a nudge in weight considering how long the Sierra 240 Match King has been around. It can be reshaped a bit, change materials around some, add a tip, increase weight a bit, but ultimately it's still a small market.

It would have to be significantly better than the B.C of the 230gr SMK or the raw combination of speed and B.C of the 215gr Berger. If we're looking at .840 for B.C then I'd take it in a 245-250gr single feed.

But as mentioned above if you're wanting a heavier than 250gr bullet on target why not bump up to 338?

At that end you're starting to get to fairly radical twist rates to stabilize like 1:8 and ideally you'd want a touch more for ELR so like a 1:7.5? Or there the 300gr Berger which gets by in a 1:10

[/QUOTE]

The 230 SMK is not a hunting bullet it a close nosed bullet. The BC is about .773 for it. So a 245 thats a hunting bullet thats in the .820 to .850 range would be a head of it for sure. Even with the speed loss.

8 twist is not radical at all. Think about it like this. People build guns all the time. Just go with a faster twist and you will be fine. Twist is a no issue deal. I would always go faster then needed even if I never used it. Just for all the added benefits.

1:10 twist used to be common for a .243 now there are bullets that need 1:7 twist.

No plans for an ELR rifle with enough oomph to reach out like that.

As a hunting bullet I think we have what we need.

It's really not that big of a nudge in weight considering how long the Sierra 240 Match King has been around. It can be reshaped a bit, change materials around some, add a tip, increase weight a bit, but ultimately it's still a small market.

I agree its a small market. The 240 SMK is no longer listed in there web site. It has been discontinued. The BC of the 240 was less then the 215 Berger.

If the bullet was out there. People would build a gun just for it. But it would be a few not the masses.

Hey fellows,
Check out ALCO Bullets. They have 30 calibers from 155-240 grain & BC's from .626-.899.
I haven't hunted with them yet but this hunting season I'll see what they do. But for target they are incredibly accurate. Nice folks to visit with too.

Hey fellows,
Check out ALCO Bullets. They have 30 calibers from 155-240 grain & BC's from .626-.899.
I haven't hunted with them yet but this hunting season I'll see what they do. But for target they are incredibly accurate. Nice folks to visit with too.

Yes they do. And so do I. I will be testing them this year. I will say this. There is no way the BC is .889 for the 240. would be nice. But I am not living in fairyland either. Look at the picture below. And you will see what I mean. Not to mention it has a super long bearing surface. Over a.25 inch longer then the SMKs

230 OTM berger, 230SMK, 240 Alco RBT
Bukkets 003.JPG

Yes they do. And so do I. I will be testing them this year. I will say this. There is no way the BC is .889 for the 240. would be nice. But I am not living in fairyland either. Look at the picture below. And you will see what I mean. Not to mention it has a super long bearing surface. Over a.25 inch longer then the SMKs
I was thinking that, as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.