Heavy .30 cal bullets

Joefrazell

Hey guys. I've got a Remington sendero in .300 win mag that's been bedded and has a timney put in it. I love this rifle. My current load is 190 gr custom competition with 73.5 gr of h4831 with the bullet just seated touching the lands. This will shoot .3-.6 moa pretty regularly. My desire is to shoot a heavy bullet but I just can't seem to get the accuracy i want. I've tried 208 eldm's, 210 vld's and currently 212 eldx's. I've tried the 208 and 210 with h1000 and retumbo. The 210 vld shot right around .8- 1.2 moa. Not horrible but not great. The 208 eldm never shot very well usually 1.5 moa. I've just tried the 212 eldx with h-4831 thinking that maybe my barrel liked that powder. Its shooting 1.5 moa with the 4 charge weights I've tried. I've wanted to try the 215 hybrid but haven't gotten my hands on them yet. I'm gunna probably try some seating testing with the 212's and also try magnum primers as I've been using winchester large rifle non magum. Anyone have any ideas? Also do you think the 190 ablr will shoot like the 190 cc? The accubonds are much longer but not sure about bearing service. I want to shoot a higher bc bullet if I can. Soon I will burn this barrel up with all the load development. I've got probably 400 rounds down the tube in 9 months

Magnum primers would definitely help I think.
What about the 200.20x Berger? It's closer weight to ur 190, really high bc for weight though.
Could be the ogives of the higher bc bullets not liking your seating depth?
In my 300wby I seated the 212 200eldx as long as my mag would allow and it seemed to work good

I tried them all touching the lands for seating except the bergers. I tried them touching .30, .60 and .90. Touching was the best by far

I have your same gun and same work done to it. 215 bergers with H1000 are hard to beat. I have mine loaded to fit in magazine. Right at 3.610" COAL. Use either WLRM or Fed 215M primers. I use both and have had good results with both.

A .5 grn incremental ladder test should show you where you barrel wants to shoot. Instead of the huge jumps in coal try just moving away in .002 increments after you find out what speed you barrels wants to shoot at.
215m's with CCI 250's being my second choice. Your lighting 70+ grains of powder

Thanks guys. I've got some wlrm I'll try those next. I'm really wanting to get some 215 hybrids and try those but will continue to work on the 212 eldx's.

Hey guys. I've got a Remington sendero in .300 win mag that's been bedded and has a timney put in it. I love this rifle. My current load is 190 gr custom competition with 73.5 gr of h4831 with the bullet just seated touching the lands. This will shoot .3-.6 moa pretty regularly. My desire is to shoot a heavy bullet but I just can't seem to get the accuracy i want. I've tried 208 eldm's, 210 vld's and currently 212 eldx's. I've tried the 208 and 210 with h1000 and retumbo. The 210 vld shot right around .8- 1.2 moa. Not horrible but not great. The 208 eldm never shot very well usually 1.5 moa. I've just tried the 212 eldx with h-4831 thinking that maybe my barrel liked that powder. Its shooting 1.5 moa with the 4 charge weights I've tried. I've wanted to try the 215 hybrid but haven't gotten my hands on them yet. I'm gunna probably try some seating testing with the 212's and also try magnum primers as I've been using winchester large rifle non magum. Anyone have any ideas? Also do you think the 190 ablr will shoot like the 190 cc? The accubonds are much longer but not sure about bearing service. I want to shoot a higher bc bullet if I can. Soon I will burn this barrel up with all the load development. I've got probably 400 rounds down the tube in 9 months

I have the same rifle. My older rem 700 300 (not a sendro) loves the big heavy bergers! I could not get the 215's shoot in my new sendro...but shoots the 210 with 73 grain imr 7828ssc about .5-.6 at 100 yards. I'm also using cci magnum primers.

On a case that large particularly in cool/cold conditions you definitely need to be using magnum primers.

The Hybrids are easier to tune than the regular VLD's being less sensitive to seating depth and might work better for you.

More than anything though you just I think probably need to settle on one bullet trying various loads with different powders and fine tuning them until you find an acceptable load. Sub MOA consistency takes a whole lot of work, care, and patience.

Some rifles seem to shoot no matter what you feed them but most require a lot more work.

On a case that large particularly in cool/cold conditions you definitely need to be using magnum primers.

The Hybrids are easier to tune than the regular VLD's being less sensitive to seating depth and might work better for you.

More than anything though you just I think probably need to settle on one bullet trying various loads with different powders and fine tuning them until you find an acceptable load. Sub MOA consistency takes a whole lot of work, care, and patience.

Some rifles seem to shoot no matter what you feed them but most require a lot more work.

This...if it were me I would get a hold of some Berger 215's and some h1000 and some RL22 also. 1 bullet, 1 primer and two powders.

Also..when testing the big boomers.....If I don't do an actual real ladder test (look it up) ......then I shoot 2 shot groups to start in .5 powder jumps. That will give you an idea if you are close.....and you can further test the promising nodes with 3-5 shot groups.

Good luck,
Tod

I have a model 700 non sendero with a Timney in it in .300 win mag. I went straight to the Berger 210 VLD hunting bullets. I started at about .015-.018 into the lands and was able to shoot .5 MOA consistently with H1000 at multiple charge levels and very minimal load development. I use CCI magnum primers. My groupings were so good I never tried any other seating distance. I was also able to get 1/2 MOA with 4831 SC.

After a lot of shooting this summer and fall it has only gotten better as far as groupings. I shot a 2" 5 shot group at 500 yards. I also took a verification shot out hunting in a less than comfortable rocky prone position shooting across a canyon at a vertical tree tip laying in a rock slide. I hit the tip of the tree where it was about 2" wide and was about 2" high. I checked my distance off the lands and it's closer to .01-.012" now after some barrel wear in.

I'm interested to see what you get for groups on factory ammo, I've tried a couple different brands and it shoots about 2.5 MOA average with factory ammo.

I have a model 700 non sendero with a Timney in it in .300 win mag. I went straight to the Berger 210 VLD hunting bullets. I started at about .015-.018 into the lands and was able to shoot .5 MOA consistently with H1000 at multiple charge levels and very minimal load development. I use CCI magnum primers. My groupings were so good I never tried any other seating distance. I was also able to get 1/2 MOA with 4831 SC.

After a lot of shooting this summer and fall it has only gotten better as far as groupings. I shot a 2" 5 shot group at 500 yards. I also took a verification shot out hunting in a less than comfortable rocky prone position shooting across a canyon at a vertical tree tip laying in a rock slide. I hit the tip of the tree where it was about 2" wide and was about 2" high. I checked my distance off the lands and it's closer to .01-.012" now after some barrel wear in.

I'm interested to see what you get for groups on factory ammo, I've tried a couple different brands and it shoots about 2.5 MOA average with factory ammo.

The only factory ammo I've tried were remington cor loKS because I had bought 100 for a good price. I shot probably 10 through it. They shot 1.5-2.5 at 100 so I stopped.

FWIW I have shot the ELDX in two different rifles. Both of them did a little better with more jump than what I would prefer, but they did. Might be worth a shot to find seating depth first and then work up to max from there.

Neither was a 300 WM though.

So I went to magnum primers. Remington 9.5 magnum. I went to the range with some h1000 and retumbo loaded I to hornady cases .020 off the lands with the 212 eldx and accuracy was not good. Groups were 1.5 moa on average still and this was with 3 shot groups. Went home decided to bump them back to .135 off the lands and accuracy went to 1.5-2 moa. Decided today to run a seating depth test as my final attempt with 75.5 gr of retumbo as it was the best in the testing with retumbo and ive got alot of the powder and don't currently use it in any loads. I tried touching the lands which is 3.655 then I tried 3.590, 3.560 and then 3.480. I know those are kinda random but I was skipping lengths I've already tested. Shooting was at 104 yrds Here's the results

3.655 oal- (touching the lands)- 3 shots-1.575 moa

3.590 oal- 3 shots-1.746 moa

3.560 oal- 3 shots- 1.830 moa

3.480 oal- (5 shots)- 1.125 moa (4 of them were .629 moa)

I only shot the others 3 because when 3 shots are 1.5 moa the testing is done.

So its definite that the 212 eldx is sensitive to seating depth in my 300 win mag. This load now shows some promise and I will now run ocw testing with h-4831, h-1000 and retumbo with this huge jump of .175". I'll keep everyone posted. Will be cool if I can get a bullet to shoot 1/2 moa that initially was shooting 1.5 or greater.

Attachments

• 20180121_184459.jpg
    20180121_184459.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.