heavy 257 weatherby

blygy

I'm currently looking @ rebarreling my 22-250 Parker Hale 1200V in to a 257 weatherby. How heavy of bullets can I shoot with a 1-10 twist??

Can't afford a new action right now to goto 257 STW or 257 AM so I'll go as fast as I can..

I was looking @ shooting barnes TSBT 100 grainers but then I came across the Wildcat bullets and Richard is less than 2 hrs away. Heavy with lots of BC is where it's @ in my opinion so I'll go with as heavy as I can..

The reason I only have a 1-10 twist is the barrel is used (less than 100 rounds)and is fairly cheap.

Thanks in advance

Blygy

When I first got my Weatherby, I tried all of the factory ammo including the 120 Partition and the 115 X bullet. The 155 X bullet grouped at .75 MOA and was the best of the factory loads. Sorry that I can't speak for the heavier loads.

I'd say your best resource would be to email Richard.
The 125gr supposedly shoots fine in a 25-06 so 130 shouldn't be a problem w/a 257W.---Mike

If you are going to use a SA, look more towards a 25 RSAUM or 25 WSM to fit the action and still give you the 257WM performance. They will take some forming, but you could use 7mmRSAUM or 270 WSM and neck them down. I cannot see how a 257 WM would feed in a SA.

Can't afford a new action right now to goto 257 STW or 257 AM so I'll go as fast as I can..

Blygy

[/ QUOTE ]
if the 257 weatherby will fit in your action a 257 stw would work it it also. No need for a new action.

[ QUOTE ]

Blygy

[/ QUOTE ]
if the 257 weatherby will fit in your action a 257 stw would work it it also. No need for a new action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really! The 257 Bee will work in a 30-06 action but the STW needs a 375 H&H length action.

so what is the difference of a 06 long action and a 375 long action? Is this a mauser 98 thing with a short, long and long long action? Don't know about parker hale actions just know that with a long action 06 remington one could make a 7AM out of a stock remington long action just would require some opening up of feed rails and mag box, and bolt. sounds more like a feeding issue. Not meaning to be a smart A## just don't see the difference in the length of the action being a drawback when one is dealing with a long action to start with.

BLYGY, To help you work out the magazine length required with the 257 Weatherby. The bullets listed below has the following overall lengths if they are seated with their base level with the base of the case neck:

115 grain Nosler BT (1.204) - 3.436 inches
125 grain Wildcat ULD (1.268)- 3.500 inches
130 grain Wildcat BCFBHP (1.220) - 3.452 inches

I found that my Shilen 24 inch 1 in 10 twist barrel on my 25/06AI stabilised and shot accurately the 130 grain Wildcat BCFBHP, and also stabilised and shot reasonably accurately the 125 grain Wildcat ULD. Next time I would order a 1 in 8 twist barrel for that gun so that I have the ability to use bullet weights up to an including the Wildcat 142 grain ULD.

You might be interested to hear that several weeks ago I conducted an experiment, and found that my custom 257 Weatherby (no freebore) when using new Norma 257W brass in my Krieger 26 inch 7 twist barrel barrel was only 75 fps faster than my 25/06 AI (Remington brass already fired 9 times) with a 24 inch barrel.

So if you allow about 50 fps for the extra 2inches of barrel length of the 257W, I gained about 25 fps for the extra 19 grains of case capacity over the 25/06AI.

The experiment showed that Norma 257W although consistent is soft, and wont safely handle the pressure that Remington and Winchester cases will do.

I subsequently purchased a bag of 50 300 Winchester Magnum cases (Remington brass), necked them down and formed 257W cases, and then neck turned to get the proper clearance. These cases had a capacity of 85.2 grains compared to the 88.3 grains of the new Norma 257W brass, so they are obviously thicker. After their first firing it appears that they will probably produce an extra 75 fps at maximum pressure over the 257W Norma brass, but I will fire them several more times to confirm this.

Hope that the above information is of some help. Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.