HBN Bullet Coating

My experience has been that some bullet manufacturers use a coating on their bullets that prevents Hbn coating. As a first step, I wash all bullets in acetone which dries very quickly. However, it eats latex gloves very quickly also. I also found that after the bullet container and steel bbs are coated, it takes very little Hbn to coat bullets for a glazed look rather than a grey coating.

pretty sure David Tubb says "just coat em"
5DA93E14-B9C0-436A-AC6B-1F281DF843BE.jpeg

My experience has been that some bullet manufacturers use a coating on their bullets that prevents Hbn coating. As a first step, I wash all bullets in acetone which dries very quickly. However, it eats latex gloves very quickly also. I also found that after the bullet container and steel bbs are coated, it takes very little Hbn to coat bullets for a glazed look rather than a grey coating.
Acetone wreck the polymer tipped bullets?

So, after the first few shots, the HBN jackets are riding on top of carbon. The carbon layer building to a point to what we call, "Settling in" At this point does it matter if the bullet is coated?

I am using the graphite with the idea I'm dirtying the bore from the start to mimic that "settling in" condition.

So my question comes to "If the raceway is coated, does the bullet need coated?" Oh boy the caffeine gonna get me in trouble! :D

Same, except I use a ceramic media. I take the powder bottle and drop it into my wet tumbler's big container. Stuff towels around it and let it spin for at least an hour.
would you mind sharing what sort of ceramic media you're using during the tumbling/coating? Where would we find it online?
Thanks!

Have any of y'all compared the difference in treating the projectiles versus treating a barrel and if so what were the results?
And also I've seen a few of you say that you're seeing a drop in velocity What kind of drops are you experiencing?

I have experienced Hornady tipped bullets leaving orange coloring in the acetone. Tumbling them results in the vertical seam being cleaned out and some of the tips will come off in the process. Nosler tipped bullets do not do this.

Have any of y'all compared the difference in treating the projectiles versus treating a barrel and if so what were the results?
And also I've seen a few of you say that you're seeing a drop in velocity What kind of drops are you experiencing?
In the early 2000s I shot moly bullets. They worked. I didn't clean the bores. So, yeah...did I still need a coated bullet after the bores were coated? I didn't check that, dagnubbit.

If I can get away with just applying graphite after cleaning I am good with that!!!

would you mind sharing what sort of ceramic media you're using during the tumbling/coating? Where would we find it online?
Thanks!

I might add, you're going to need something to pour this media out into after your tumbling process ends. You're going to lose a bit of the hBN when you do (it'll stick to the container's walls). Also, you're probably not going to need all of that media ... just enough that your bullets aren't going to be too roughly tumbled. It's okay to dump out some of the media if you're coating a larger batch of bullets. A little powder goes a long long ways and it gets into everything.

Last edited:
Glazed is a good word to describe what mine look like

I've coated my bores with the aforementioned alcohol HBN slurry after every thorough deep cleaning….trying to burnish it into the metal evenly. As was mentioned before the purpose of using HBN is to condition the metal of the bore by filling every micro-pore and fissure in the metal with this ultra high temperature ultra slippery ceramic micro powder.

The theory is to prevent carbon and copper from filling the micro-pores by already being full of a slippery heat resistant substance…HBN should reduce friction, heat, wear and provide some measure of gas erosion protection.

I have no scientific evidence or proof that these benefits are actually and factually occurring …but subjectively my barrels clean easier and shoot ever slightly more consistently…barrel life longevity??…that would have to be glaringly obvious.

However I think shooting coated bullets is overkill. After the first cold bore shot with a HBN coated bullet, carbon and copper in theory is present in the bore and will prevent the HBN from reaching the metal of the bore.
It's cheap and simple to add to the cleaning process thus I will continue use and recommend it.
2 cents worth.