HBN Bullet Coating

hBN has a few potential advantages not yet mentioned. For one it's hydrophobic so it doesn't attract moisture. Another, and more interesting to me, is that it has an extremely high resistance to heat. I don't recall the numbers but it is impressive. It has been deduced that the coating can improve throat life. I'm not in a position to test the hypothesis but others may be???
hBN is actually used in "Kiln" applications because of the high melting properties.
Using hBN is different than Moly, because Moly can melt from the temp of firing a cartridge and line the inside of your barrel bore.
NOW We are not advocating the use or non use of hBN. We started this "Thread" to possibly get more scientific data for the use on Bullets and lining the BORE of a Barrel with positive or negative effects.
Thanks
Len & Jill

hBN has a few potential advantages not yet mentioned. For one it's hydrophobic so it doesn't attract moisture. Another, and more interesting to me, is that it has an extremely high resistance to heat. I don't recall the numbers but it is impressive. It has been deduced that the coating can improve throat life. I'm not in a position to test the hypothesis but others may be???
I've already mentioned those 😉 no worries tho…

Definitely heat resistant. definitely improved barrel life.

Also used in some high performance high pressure race engines and some other applications. CER-METs these hybrid products are sometimes called - ceramic infused metal. Hbn is technically a ceramic. And if done right it doesn't just sit on top of the bore or bullets, it impregnates them to a degree.

hBN is actually used in "Kiln" applications because of the high melting properties.
Using hBN is different than Moly, because Moly can melt from the temp of firing a cartridge and line the inside of your barrel bore.
NOW We are not advocating the use or non use of hBN. We started this "Thread" to possibly get more scientific data for the use on Bullets and lining the BORE of a Barrel with positive or negative effects.
Thanks
Len & Jill
Yes I agree why this thread was started. So I just realized I want to pass this info on . I have use Tubb dust HBN in all my barrels that were already broke in . Not giving it a second thought I broke in a new benchrest barrel 6 ml 8 twist . It took about 450 rounds to settle in . My initial thought was the barrel was know good. Then I realized that all my bullets are HBN coated . This could be the reason for the long break in . Just my experience though I would pass it on .

yup over 1000c that's pretty dang hot!!!

My can looks different from photo on the link. I thought I wanted the liquid form so the pressure out the aerosol can wouldn't spatter so much. I'll take the spattering. Dries in 10 min. I checked the bore with the liquid bottle form after an hour and it was wet as water and I couldn't see the graphite in the bore. WEIRD!

Good stuff:
View attachment 434416

Don't know if same product:

What is the 765- number, hard to make out the last four, 765 -1364?

Maybe this is the replacement

Mac's Napa Dry Graphite Lubricant

278CA20D-8E0A-4A36-AFEC-54D9B293E8B4.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I am sure that will work. Just check to make sure the graphite in the bore is dried in there. Usually takes 5-10 min.
I think my can was "new old stock" since the guy had to clean the dust off the can when I asked for it. LOL.
New Old Stock is usually discounted to move it. Did you ask for a discount? ( ; > )

Curious if cleaning the barrel removes the coating from the barrel and would it be necessary to recoat or shoot 20-30 coated bullets every time to be consistent?

Curious if cleaning the barrel removes the coating from the barrel and would it be necessary to recoat or shoot 20-30 coated bullets every time to be consistent?
The graphite is preventing copper from depositing on the metal with the first shots. It seems to simulate carbon fouling from firing as well. Hence, limiting or eliminating the first round flyers, cold bore POI shift. I am 99% sure on the first statement, and seeing promise with the second statement as I continue to test.

Consistency will be up to the shooter and their regime.