Have 7-08 barrel, need it rechambered

ntsqd

I screwed up and ordered a barrel with too tight of a twist for the chambering that I ordered. The solution is to open it up to a 7mm SST. The question is who to send it to. Looking for suggestions for a gunsmith familiar with the Sherman chambers who can do the work. Ideally this would be a "turn-key" gunsmith who already has the 7SST chamber tools.

I would pm Elkaholic, when I had question he was quick to respond and offered recommendations about a smith but I had that covered. You can call him as well, has phone number posted on his website.

I screwed up and ordered a barrel with too tight of a twist for the chambering that I ordered.
Elaborate?
What's the twist rate on the (currently) 7-08 barrel?
Over-stabilization is rarely an issue, did you use a stability calculator?

In any case- you do realize that you're going from a standard, to a magnum boltface as well...

I did use Berger's stability calculator, but my velocity numbers weren't correct. Been so long ago now that I don't recall where I got them from. Put me into a twist (8R) that I don't think this chamber can drive the heavies fast enough for, and as I understand things it isn't going to be real friendly to the light to mid-weights. I'm re-thinking this whole project anyway. I suspect that 140's are the heaviest this barrel would see in the current chambering. Am thinking to order another 7-08 barrel twisted for 120's-140's and re-chamber this one to 7SS for the project rifle that will come after this one and a .243AI build.

Yep, I do realize the bolt face difference. It's for a Savage, so it's not too a big deal.

ntsqd, If I understand this thread correctly, you have a 1:8 twist barrel, chambered in 7mm-08, for a Savage, and you think 1:8 twist is to tight for this caliber?

I missed the part where the OP posted it was a 1 in 8. I know the 8 stabilizes 140gr bullets, an believe also the 120gr bullets. I would call the barrel manufacturer to check before unnecessarily buying another barrel.