7/08 to7X57

Waynzee

Is it possible to ream a 7mm/08 chamber out to a 7x57 Mauser in a Savage barrel?

Is it possible to ream a 7mm/08 chamber out to a 7x57 Mauser in a Savage barrel?
In my opinion, whether it can be done or not, there would be little or no advantage whatsoever, as a matter of fact, 7X57 brass is hard to find, where as 7mm/08 is readily available or can easily be made by necking down 308 Win. commercial brass. Note again, this is just my opinion.

In my opinion, whether it can be done or not, there would be little or no advantage whatsoever, as a matter of fact, 7X57 brass is hard to find, where as 7mm/08 is readily available or can easily be made by necking down 308 Win. commercial brass. Note again, this is just my opinion.

In fact the 7/08 is normally about 100 ft/sec faster than a 7x57 Mauser.

And if you just want to freshen up a 7/08 chamber you can go to a 7/08 AI and pick up 100 to 150 ft/sec more than the 7/08 or 200 to 250 more than the 7x57 and as stated brass with the 7/08 head stamp is easy to come by or you can neck down 308 Win to 7/08 or 7/08 AI.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:

And if you just want to freshen up a 7/08 chamber you can go to a 7/08 AI and pick up 100 70 150 ft/sec more than the 7/08 or 200 to 250 more than the 7x57 and as stated brass with the 7/08 head stamp is easy to come by or you can neck down 308 Win to 7/08 or 7/08 AI.

J E CUSTOM

Although, the 7x57a.i. Is nothing to sneeze at, never owned one, just looked up data. It's quite an improvement over the stock x57.
Just wounded about the OP's mag length and if it would support longer bullets if they op'd to go with the 7x57 chamber ?
I love my 7mm-08A.I., won't know the exact velocity gains till next range day(just got a chrono).

Okay, thanks guys. As always some good ideas and better options, guess I'll go with the 7/08 AI. The chamber's a little rough in this Savage Mod. 11 I've have but it shoots really accurate so stretching it a bit seems like a good idea.

And if you just want to freshen up a 7/08 chamber you can go to a 7/08 AI and pick up 100 to 150 ft/sec more than the 7/08 or 200 to 250 more than the 7x57 and as stated brass with the 7/08 head stamp is easy to come by or you can neck down 308 Win to 7/08 or 7/08 AI.

J E CUSTOM
Question, isn't the 7 X 57 considered a cartridge for a long-action; 3.065 vs. 2.800 COAL? Will the action be long enough?

Okay, thanks guys. As always some good ideas and better options, guess I'll go with the 7/08 AI. The chamber's a little rough in this Savage Mod. 11 I've have but it shoots really accurate so stretching it a bit seems like a good idea.
I don't think you will regret your decision. You already have the brass and dies are very available.

Question, isn't the 7 X 57 considered a cartridge for a long-action; 3.065 vs. 2.800 COAL? Will the action be long enough?

It will work in a short action with an extended mag and seating the bullets to fit this mag.

But it would be an important consideration for a short action. The 7/08 AI would do everything better than the 7x57 even though it is a very good cartridge.

In my post on bolt face diameters, I listed it in the long action for that reason (The easiest).
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bolt-face-diameters.36661/

J E CUSTOM

7x57 is considered a medium action that is common in europeon cartridges. Far as i know no american manufacturer has ever offered a medium length action. It is hard to squeeze the medium length cartridges and get them to function in the american action, ie 308 family. That is why the 7mm08, and 260 were american answers to the 7x57 and 6.5x55

7x57 is considered a medium action that is common in europeon cartridges. Far as i know no american manufacturer has ever offered a medium length action. It is hard to squeeze the medium length cartridges and get them to function in the american action, ie 308 family. That is why the 7mm08, and 260 were american answers to the 7x57 and 6.5x55
I don't know of any rifle mfgs that offer a medium length action but I know of a couple of action mfgs that offer one.

I've a bunch of Ruger 77s, a couple of old "round tops", they come in short and long action; 30-06 and .308 are my two. They might have however I have never seen one, and what caliber would they have been chambered in? With the exception of the magnums (7mm RM, .300WM) the parent cartridge for their chamberings seem to be the .308 or 30-06.

I have seen savage rifles at one time that could accomodate the medium length cartridges but, they used the 06 type action and put a bolt stop that was shorter. I have a savage 110 chambered in 22-250 and it is on the long action but the bolt does not go all the way back like it would be if chambered in a 06 length cartridge. Very acccurate gun though

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.