7/08 to7X57

When, what year and what model did Winchester make and or produce a "Medium length action" ? I know of standard length, and "Magnum length" actions but have never heard of a Winchester "Medium length " action.

Just guessing but would it have been the early push feed years ? Had a youth model that the action seemed pretty short on but am not sure.

Just guessing but would it have been the early push feed years ? Had a youth model that the action seemed pretty short on but am not sure.

Yes. They made 3 different lengths like lots of other rifle makers. Some even made actions that were shorter than the standard short action.

Most are now making only 2 basic lengths of actions.

J E CUSTOM

If my memory serves me mid 80s WSSM actions were called the super short actions the screw spacing was shorter than the short actions. Correct me if wrong, only researched it back then and didn't have one in my hands.

If my memory serves me mid 80s WSSM actions were called the super short actions the screw spacing was shorter than the short actions. Correct me if wrong, only researched it back then and didn't have one in my hands.

They had an action for the standard long cartridge like the 3006 and longer action for the magnum cartridges like the 300 H&H and the 375 H&H. It is close to 3/8th of an inch longer than a 3006.

Sako did the same for a while and I have one of the very short actions called an S 491 and they even made a shorter version and i think it was called a S 461 Reihimaki that could only handle the 222 (It was not long enough for the 223). Maybe the Sako guys will chime in and refresh me on this one.

J E CUSTOM

The coyotes (Winchester)that I worked on used the standard short action for the WSMs and installed a spacer in the back of the mag for the WSSMs.

This is common these days because of cost. In days past rifle manufactures seemed more interested is pleasing the buyer. Now it is all about profit, so our choices are few when it comes to action length.

The 7x57 is to long for a short action, and almost to short for a long action of to day.

J E CUSTOM

The 7X57 and 8X57 Mauser are just in the middle of USA popular calibers case size. But with the long military bullets used in Europe, A lot were built on Large Ring Mausers near 30-06 length actions.
In Europe the 30-06 Spr. is known as a 7.62X63 and the 308 Win. is know as 7.62X51 The 7 & 8 MM bullets at the time of the II World War, The 7X57 lists a 173 Gr. bullet as a military load bullet, One of the standard military bullet for the 8X57 was a 227 gr. bullet. The bullets stuck way out of the case, So the Mauser action was long for case length.

If you check SAAMI Specs. The case body at the shoulder of a 7mmX08 Rem. is .452 The SAAMI spec. for the body at a shoulder of the 7mmX57mm is 10.92mm (.429). The 7mmX57mm body measures .472 at the front of the extractor grove. The shoulder to base measurement is 1.650 to the shoulder of the 7mm/08. For the 7mm/57mm mauser is 1.725 would only give you. .075 to get the chamber cleaned up. It would take some measurement on the cases or reamers whether the 7x57 reamer would clean the 7/08 chamber. O.A.C.L. for the 7mm/08 is listed in loading books as 2.800" The O.A.C.L. of the 7mmX57mm Mauser is 3.065. These .265 longer cartridges may not fit in the 7mm/08 magazine, Unless the bullets are shoved way down in the case.
Awful close to make a safe, clean job, May not ream the chamber clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts