Have 7-08 barrel, need it rechambered

A 9 twist 7-08 will shoot heavies just fine, my 7-08 is a 9 twist and I run 162's out to 1K with no stabilization/accuracy issues.
If the 9 does the job, the 8 certainly will. You're overthinking it...

Someone who's knowledge I trust commented that he thought that the 8R was too tight for what I wanted to do. Hence this thread. I'll go ahead and assemble the rifle when it's next up in the que and shoot it before going further.

I pondered going AI when I ordered the barrel and decided that for the use we didn't need it. I may change my mind down the road, but that's an easy change.

Thank you all!

Someone who's knowledge I trust commented that he thought that the 8R was too tight for what I wanted to do. Hence this thread. I'll go ahead and assemble the rifle when it's next up in the que and shoot it before going further.

I pondered going AI when I ordered the barrel and decided that for the use we didn't need it. I may change my mind down the road, but that's an easy change.

Thank you all!
If you get hemmed up I have 7mm-08 9 twist Savage barrels (small shank!) I'd trade for 8 twist if the length and contour was right.

I did use Berger's stability calculator, but my velocity numbers weren't correct. Been so long ago now that I don't recall where I got them from. Put me into a twist (8R) that I don't think this chamber can drive the heavies fast enough for, and as I understand things it isn't going to be real friendly to the light to mid-weights. I'm re-thinking this whole project anyway. I suspect that 140's are the heaviest this barrel would see in the current chambering. Am thinking to order another 7-08 barrel twisted for 120's-140's and re-chamber this one to 7SS for the project rifle that will come after this one and a .243AI build.

Yep, I do realize the bolt face difference. It's for a Savage, so it's not too a big deal.
The 9 twist is perfect for the 7mm-08 to shoot whatever you want up to 180... which I think is really too much bullet for the cartridge.
As LVJ76 and tobnpr said... you are best in the 120-160 class with 7mm-08. And... it's a dam good cartridge with those bullets!

I have a couple of 284 Win's with 9 twist that can shoot 180's but I stay in the 160 class for hunting.

Last edited:
I run 1/9 twists on my 7-08 and my 7-08AI. That being said, I wouldn't mind a 1/8 twist as it seems the bullets I've settled on are 168 Bergers in the Ackley and 150 ELD-X in the standard.
The 7/08 is an enigma to me that people try to stop at 140gr with it. Ballistics, accuracy and terminal effects I get from the 150 and 168 have been outstanding. It's too bad that Remington decided to push the cartridge with 140gr being the standard load.

Recent Posts