I need a rechamber job on a barrel 7mm mag to 7mm stw

camoman80

I am getting a savage barrel in 7mm mag and want to have it rechmbered to 7mm stw wondering what price this would cost and if i need to ship the action with
Matt

If you have access to headspace gauges there is no reason you have to ship the
action. I would however do it so the gunsmith can check his work and there is no
question about who did what. Also you will find there are two reamers out there. The
original 8mm mag case sized reamer, which should clean up the old chamber without
setting back the barrel, and the "new" (chasing the factory's smaller brass based off
the 300H&H case ) smaller diameter brass which seems to be the standard now. I have
read posts that the smaller reamer does need the barrel set back to clean the 7mm
chamber.

I am getting a savage barrel in 7mm mag and want to have it rechmbered to 7mm stw wondering what price this would cost and if i need to ship the action with
Matt

I am confused. Are you buying a new 7mm mag barrel and wanting it re-chambered? Why not just buy a 7mm stw barrel from Sharp Shooter Supply with headspace gauges and barrel nut wrench and do it yourself? It is very easy and SSS is now carrying Brux cut rifle barrels.

Well i have all the tools to change the barrel it is just that I found a 7mm Mag barrel and a very good price that makes it worth rechambering i can set the headspace myself but i know some smiths would rather set that themselves i just do not have the capability to rechamber the barrels myself

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.