Accurizing my CDL 7-08

electricalboot

I bought a Remington 700 CDL SF 7mm.08 last year and added a Jewel trigger and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF to the mix. I want to make this gun as accurate as possible. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars but I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount before next season.

I'm looking to get into doing my own reloads because I have put 3 boxes of shells through it (Corelokt, Hornady GMX, and Barnes Vor-tx) with a big discrepency in accuracy having the most luck out of the Barnes ammunition. I was lucky to even keep Hornady in a paper plate at 100 yds.

I know accuracy has alot to do with me being prepared and doing my home work. I just want to get my gun in top condition since I have very little knowledge in the art of accurizing.

I bought a Remington 700 CDL SF 7mm.08 last year and added a Jewel trigger and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF to the mix. I want to make this gun as accurate as possible. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars but I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount before next season.

I'm looking to get into doing my own reloads because I have put 3 boxes of shells through it (Corelokt, Hornady GMX, and Barnes Vor-tx) with a big discrepency in accuracy having the most luck out of the Barnes ammunition. I was lucky to even keep Hornady in a paper plate at 100 yds.

I know accuracy has alot to do with me being prepared and doing my home work. I just want to get my gun in top condition since I have very little knowledge in the art of accurizing.

The 7/08 is a wonderfully accurate cartrige and the Remington CDL has all of the things to be
very accurate if loaded with good ammo.

The factory barrels need a good break in and cleaning before they settle in and start shooting.

The best place to start is to bed the action and float the barrel.

When you start reloading you will find that the light, short barrel will prefer the 120 to 140
grain bullets.

My most accurate load for the 7/08 is Rem brass,CCI BR 2 primers, 120 grain Nosler ballistic tips
with 49.5 grains of H 414 or 45 grains of Varget.

All tho the 120 seems light to us long range hunters It will accuratly hit and kill deer size game past 600 yards and normally drops them in there tracts.

The 120 grain loads will give you between 3000 ft/sec and 3150 ft/sec for very good performance
and trajectory.

Good luck on your 7/08.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.