Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
I'll always have my 308 passing it along to my daughter later in life

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Attitudes today are interesting. I just attended a swap meet at our Gun club. I had given my son my last 06 , but had multiple boxes of ammo and 2 sets of dies. I couldn't hardly even give away the ammo or the dies. The same way with 30-30. Everyone is in a wet dream state over 6.5 and "more modern" cartridges. I agree with others in that bullet manufacturers will have to do something to help flatten the trajectory to make the old girl popular again. That's frankly why years ago I went to 7mm Rem Mag and 300WinMag. Now that the world is trying to shot animals on the far side of the moon, the 06 can't measure up beyond 250-300 yards.

Every one should have an '06 in the cabinet.
I'm a southern Md guy, & I agree absolutely. With the 30.06's versatility in bullet weights from 90gr-220gr its hard to beat. When Win. & Browning came out with a tunable muzzle brake ( BOSS BRAKE ) it made being able to shoot the entire span very accurately in the same gun. I had & liked the heck outta too a .308, another fantastic round & versatile in weights. My fav cal came to be 7mm Rem mag. Browning A Bolt ll w/Boss Brake. Best off the rack rifle I've ever owned.

Hard to beat the versatility and shoot-ability of the 30-06... bullet options are second to none and getting better all the time...same with propellants. (...when available...) Then there's the other good stuff like longer throat/barrel and cartridge case life that go along with cartridges that operate at more "reasonable" pressures... there's a lot to like about the ol '06 (and 308). 6.5's & 7's have their place for sure, but when it comes to hunting big game so does order of magnitude and the 30's have an edge... sounds like a classy cartridge to go along with a classy piece of wood. Good stuff in my book.

I never knew the 308 died as I see MFGs still pumping rifles out and it probably outsells all other ammo on the shelf except 223. I actually have a action sitting in my safe waiting for my 308 build. I don't think it ever will die. Not so much with the 30-06 but it still has its place.

Last edited:
I love the 06, I have 2 custom built and one 06AI in the works with a 26" Bartlein CFW tube on a Definace Deviant. One may get a new barrel in 280AI, but the 06 is so versatile 90-230+ grain bullets, easy to find ammo, easy to handload near 300WM velocities. What's not to love?
With new 30 cal bullet offerings it does great at long range. Pic is of my go to 30-06. Blueprinted Rem 700, 26" Bartlein Sendero 1:11.25TR, McMillan Game Warden, PTG DBM, TBAC brake, Timney trigger, Seekins hardware, and now wears a NF NX8 scope. It's a hammer .5 MOA gun and have taken it out to 1000 yds.

Attachments

• 20190706_095744.jpg
    20190706_095744.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 149
I have never taken my 375 cheytac hunting and never will. It is very easy to get close enough to anything for the 308 to work. With the new powders the 30-06 can be loaded to traditional magnum performance levels.
I realize this is a long range hunting forum and I love long and extra long range shooting. When it comes to actually shooting big game at genuine long distance I have found the experience not all that rewarding. It is far too easy to lose a wounded animal when you can't even figure out where it was when you shot it. In theory it is easy to walk 600 or more yards right to the spot but it is not always easy in real life. Even if the animal drops in it's tracks it can take quite a lot of time and trouble to find it.
Just my opinion based by my experience hunting since the late 1960s.

So I'm one of those guys who gets attracted to the latest ad greatest. I started 40 years ago with a 30-06 and moved to a 308 because I love semi autos. I'm back with the 308 and out of the 6.5 CM. I'm a hunter and I'm looking for field performance at normal hunting ranges. I don't shoot at other planets! The 30s have better field performance than the latest rage. BAR forever!!!😆🤣😂

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.