Hard to believe

Wow, and I mean wow!
I use a 22-250AI for mid-range F-Class, that rifle can hit clay targets at 600 time after time in LITTLE WIND, but I wouldn't try it beyond this, especially not at 800+, it just doesn't have the steam and he's talking a 223!

Cheers.
What bullet weight are you using ?

Ppl always claim crazy stuff. I have seen a few ppl actually do what they claim but it's still usually not the truth.

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
Those are some BIG prairie dogs !

I had to find this. He did say that it took an average of 3 shots to walk it in and the dogs didn't know they were getting shot at. Also a lot of reticle adjustment needed. So OK, I can go along with that. I remember as a kid shooting soda cans at about 400 yards with my scoped 22LR in a strip mine that locals used as a garbage pit. Once i had the holdover it was pretty easy.
For someone who has shot a couple pretty darn accurate 10-22's, with the capability to dial to 500 yards on warm summer days. I can say in WY, hitting and staying on a 5" plate at 400 yards is a major challenge. Yes, you can get 3 hits in a row, even with your scope zeroed on the target, you will be holding off somehow to connect again.
Not only does the accuracy of your rifle play hard, ammo choice is even more important. Shooting 6 cent ammo is a joke, 11-13 cent ammo ups your odds considerably. Now I am not claiming to be even good, but my hit pct would go up considerably with a real accurate bolt gun and .35 target ammo. A pop can is half the width of my 5" plate.

I'd add to this that he may be lying to himself first and foremost! The late (and great) physicist Richard Feynman said "the first principle is that you must not fool yourself...and that you are the easiest person to fool." I know a guy who tells me with all the sincerity in the world that his handloads in 270 wsm spit a 140 grain bullet at 3800 FPS with no pressure signs out of a 22 inch barrel (and there's barely and kick to boot, too good to be true huh?). In this case he's not lying in a deliberate, deceptive way so much as just hopelessly wrong and unwilling to consider as much. It could well be that this guy the OP is talking about isn't a liar in that he really does believe the things he's saying, even if no one else does. I know lots of people like this, good people who know things that "just ain't so" haha.
I've got a good friend who is actually a great guy. He's a little gullible but he wouldn't deliberately wrong anyone. He wouldn't lie either, deliberately. He told us a story from years ago about someone he knew who caught 5 crappie so big that they wouldn't all fit in a 5 gallon bucket. One of our other buddies said he was lying. I said he's not lying because he actually believes it himself. But that doesn't mean it's the truth. It's funny how we remember things from years ago also. We can't always remember them exactly how it happened everytime. One of my other buddies said he remembered 20 years ago a kid hit a baseball out of the field & hit the bleachers of another field. He said he remembered the ball making a loud noise when it hit those metal bleachers. Then he said he went to those bleachers a couple years ago and they wasn't metal but wood. He said he asked someone about it and they said those bleachers had never ever been metal but always wood boards. Memories sometimes play tricks on us. But then again, some folks just exaggerate to the point that it's nothing more than a lie.

What bullet weight are you using ?
Nosler 77gr Custom Competition. Have a 7" twist 30" 4 groove Bartlein.
I will clarify that in ANY sort of gusty wind, these little 22 cal bullets do move around, it can easily make a 1/4 MoA rifle into a 1 MoA rifle very easily.
I was using the Nosler Custom Comps 52gr at 300mtrs and it was blowing something shocking and couldn't get less than 1 MoA groups no matter what I did, there was horizontal AND vertical dispersion by the wind. The next day it was back to 1/4 MoA cuz there was very little wind, just a breeze really.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
They sure must be awfully large prairie dogs!
Is he shooting them in the state of Texas?
What is his holdover as well as the allowance for wind deflection amount to?

Last edited:
Have to comment again! People who know that I shoot LR competively have commented on how good they are at LR shooting. Something like "I shot my bull elk at 900 something yards with a one shot kill!" Asking what they were using they'd say something like a 30-30. Wow, how did you make that shot? "Just held slightly above his back and shot."

Well, I know my competition 308 has 24 ft of drop at 1000 yards. His scope must have been way off!

Have to comment again! People who know that I shoot LR competively have commented on how good they are at LR shooting. Something like "I shot my bull elk at 900 something yards with a one shot kill!" Asking what they were using they'd say something like a 30-30. Wow, how did you make that shot? "Just held slightly above his back and shot."

Well, I know my competition 308 has 24 ft of drop at 1000 yards. H

Well, I know my competition 308 has 24 ft of drop at 1000 yards. His scope must have been way off!
I hunt at longer ranges. My farthest kill has been a cow elk this year at 859 yards with a 300 WM and a 215 Berger at 3060 fps. I have found that people I talk to that know I shoot long range will sometimes brag about killing something at distance and ti usually goes something like this:
" I shot my buck last year at 600 yards." Notice it's almost always a round/whole number.
"Wow, that's a great shot. What were you shooting?"
"My 30-06."
"What's your drop at 600 yards?"
"Oh, I held just over his back."
"That must have been a pretty big buck. My 300WM, which shoots pretty flat has over 4 feet of drop at that distance. I'd never be able to make a shot like that without knowing the exact range and either dialing my turret or using my reticle."

As most people on this forum know because they've put in the blood, sweat, and tears to get the right tools for the job and aquire the skills, it's pretty easy to tell the BS'rs from actual shooters quickly when they open their mouth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.