Hammer Hunter Load Data, (See page 1, Post 8)

I run the same bullet in a 338 edge.
R700 w/HCA 9.4 26" barrel
96.5 N570 260(actually 262)hammer 3K FPS
.5-.75 moa depending on my trigger pull that day.
My coal 3.850.....obviously doesn't apply to your nosler.
That's awesome! I have the 245 ready to load in my 9 twist edge with a 31 inch pipe so if your at 3k with the 262 that's awesome !

Posting this with permission from "shields shtr" over on The Hide

Settled on a Load...
18" Proof Sendero Lite with 7" TBAC Ultra 7
6.5 PRC
124 Grain Hammer Hunter
ADG Brass
57.2 Grain H4831sc
2.900 COAL
3030 fps

Last edited:
Posting this with permission from "shields shtr" over on The Hide

Settled on a Load...
18" Proof Sendero Lite with 7" TBAC Ultra 7
124 Grain Hammer Hunter
ADG Brass
57.2 Grain H4831sc
2.900 COAL
3030 fps
Always helpful to list the cartridge to avoid confusion.

In my 6.5 PRC (23.5" bbl) I can exceed 3,200 ft/sec with 60.0 RE26 & the 124 HH.

So, I hope this info may help others who are having issues with a rifle being finicky with Hammers at high velocities. My 280 AI was driving me crazy. It shoots the 143 HH at 3260 fps very accurately. Then the Absolute Hammers (the 140 HH in this case) came out, and seeing that I'm a velocity whore, I wanted to see how fast I could push them. I got them just over 3400 fps. Grouped great at 100 yards, but was terrible at 300.
So I decided to try the 120 HH, plus I had Bean chirping in my ear about making this a laser beam. Using 6.5 StaBall powder, I found a 1.0 gr sized node at 3567 fps. ES of 19, SD 10.1. I was ecstatic until I started testing groups. It just wouldn't group. So, I tried seating it out towards the lands one more PDR band (original COAL was set to the last PDR band). This helped, but still wasn't a typical 0.5 moa or better Hammer group that I'm used to. I called and talk to Steve at Hammer Bullets. We had a possible "ah ha" moment when I told him it shot tight groups with the Magnetto Speed on but horrible without it. He said it sound like the barrel is really whippy with the higher velocity and needed to be dampened. I told him I had one of those LimbSaver barrel de resonators laying around and would give it a try. I've used it in the past on an old 30-06 and it worked really well. They aren't easy to get on the barrel and move them around, but I set it up to give it last ditch try. I loaded up my last 9 bullets I had. First setting was halfway between the stock for-end and the muzzle brake. It was bad (see target with poor shot group on far right). Then I moved it about 3 inches forward. Better, but still not good (see the same photo but middle group). Moved the de resonator towards the muzzle so I still had enough room for the Magnetto. BINGO!!! A beautiful 0.39 moa group. I'm going to try this at 300 yards when I get more bullets, but looks like it should be a winner.
The Hail Mary worked, and maybe it can work for others that are having similar issues. I'm sure a tuner would work even better.

Attachments

• A1388297-936A-4AE4-BDF3-7701698982BD.jpeg
    A1388297-936A-4AE4-BDF3-7701698982BD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 71B29F09-0DFA-43AF-A23B-7282012F1423.jpeg
    71B29F09-0DFA-43AF-A23B-7282012F1423.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • 26DE95CF-7DEC-4CD5-B07B-EB1390BFEFE3.jpeg
    26DE95CF-7DEC-4CD5-B07B-EB1390BFEFE3.jpeg
    954.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 1091DE82-581D-4DDA-AC6B-B705932FA789.png
    1091DE82-581D-4DDA-AC6B-B705932FA789.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 71
I've spent a lot of effort over the past couple of years developing loads for my Browning X-Bolt 28 Nosler with 143 gr Hammer Hunter bullets. I've found some loads that have been shooting .25 to .5 MOA consistently with low ES. Great loads. I don't live where I can get to a place to shoot over 300 yards easily so I haven't been able to verify drops until recently and got a rude awakening. My actual bullet drops at ranges over 300 yards are MUCH bigger than they should be - about 20-24 inches low at 800 yards for example.

I called Steve and talked to him and found out this is known to be an issue with some rifles. For some reason, the ogive shape of the Hammer Hunter doesn't work with my gun's throat/barrel/rifling and it dramatically alters the BC on the bullet. I guess this is why the Absolute Hammer was created.

I'm posting this in hopes that everyone can benefit from my experience. Verify long-range shot drops early in your load development to make sure the Hammer Hunters are not having this happen through your rifle before you get too deep into load development. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had excellent luck with the harmonic dampeners. I don't like to use them on free floated barrels though cus they need to be at the end of the barrel and look kinda ugly. You can get the same results with an ats tuner or similar. You can also use a .02 powder ladder up or down from desired velocity and the hammers tune very quickly. I usually only move the rubber things in 1/2" increments but that's on pillar bedded rifles

These loads are what I feel are safe in MY RIFLE. Use standard safe reloading practices to work up load in your rifle.

I guess I thought I posted up the .270TH data for the 156HH but seems like it was just velocity. The 4000R ladder needs more loads but not sure I will do so since did not see the velocity that RL26 delivers. The 170 EOL ladder there as "bonus" to posting.

The oddball COAL is just my desire to max out COAL for magazine. Since Hammers have shown me jump is basically irrelevant in "my experience", I chose this COAL. Since rifle shoots 0.4MOA with this load, guess it works.

Which is why you Have to work up loads for your own rifle.

View attachment 300489View attachment 300490
I like your data card. Old school is solid! My corrupted excel files will agree, lol...

I've had excellent luck with the harmonic dampeners. I don't like to use them on free floated barrels though cus they need to be at the end of the barrel and look kinda ugly. You can get the same results with an ats tuner or similar. You can also use a .02 powder ladder up or down from desired velocity and the hammers tune very quickly. I usually only move the rubber things in 1/2" increments but that's on pillar bedded rifles
I've been loading Hamners for about 4 years now. This is the first rifle I couldn't tune with powder charge or seating depth.

I actually have an Access program I wrote many years ago that still works well. The key is to limit free data entry and try to utilize drop down selection wherever possible. I keep base copy for restart plus I perform backup frequently so I can recover. If you ever want to try it send me email I will send copy. I have an old laptop that I use at load bench. But easy to corrupt even with drop downs.

I've been loading Hamners for about 4 years now. This is the first rifle I couldn't tune with powder charge or seating depth.
For me, using the tuners are a lot faster than seating or powder. I haven't tested but I've been told if you're in the right tune, accuracy is good for 1/10 variations in powder. I just finished a 300prc last weekend with the 250 Atips that with a tmb tuner and was very impressed

Recent Posts