Hammer Hunter in 270?

My barrel is a 1:10 twist. Will that stabilize a 140?
If you're talking about the AB yes it will stabilize them. Guys have had 165gr Matrix stabilize using a 1-10" but theoretically not fully stabilized so some BC can be compromised. But most all "standard" .277 bullets will stabilize in a 1-10".

.....h4831.....

I just finished loading my son in laws 145's with that. The short cut version free's up a little case capacity. I use the Federal 215 primers, Nosler brass, just seated magazine length. It's an old cheapest Remington, and cheapest old Leupold shot sub MOA with starting loads, and maintained it as powder was added.

Hollow points are a subject in and of themselves. The current hollow point has evolved to a little larger than initially offered.

With proper care I'm sure they're great - I just remember how banged up partitions got in the mag sometimes and wonder... one more reason to use a brake...?:D

Each brings it's own set of problems. Knocked tips off Accubonds in the magazine. Had a .375 H&H factory Winchester finish seating itself with just a bit of nose sticking out of the case.

I can't remember exactly, but one of the changes made a long the way, was a bigger HP. I think it went from 1-1.5mm????? Devil's in the details along the way.

Thanks I plan on buying some . You are very rude sir. It's people like yourself that give this site a sower taste.
Leaving your caps lock on is considered "yelling" on the internet, and technically rude. It's also generally more difficult to read. So, I suggested that you turn it off, and you did.

Thank you!

Feel free to read my posts on this site. I think you will see that I'm not rude at all. That is never my intent. Note the smiley face I even placed in my reply to you.

Last edited:
Since i had to switch to copper in CA- I moved to the Cutting Edge Bullets. They now have a 125 gr Maximus that I have used and the 140gr MTH in 270. They have the highest bcs in class and expansive properties that I never found in a Barnes.

I have recovered my first CE bullet after 23 1 shot kills in a row. It was on a near 1,000lb elk at 550 yards with a 300 RUM. It dropped the animal and stopped just short of the skin after destroying both shoulder bones into gravel. 88% weight retention.

I have two LRH shots on tape, both fell over on the spot. Consider them in your quest.
Where does cutting edge post there BC ? I can't find it on there site .
I wanted to see the "best in class BC" you speak of for the 277 bullets .

Last edited:
Has anyone tried Hunter powder in a 270?
I tried magpro and 3100. 3100 rivaled my H4831 lot for speed and accuracy. Magpro would shoot well in the summer but fall off once it got cold. 3130ish in the summer and even seating out further to add a full grain over max I'd only see 3030fps below 32 degrees. I ruined a bunch of brass over the years with magpro because of this.

Where does cutting edge post there BC ? I can't find it on there site .
I wanted to see the "best in class BC" you speak of for the 277 bullets .
I have used Cutting Edge for years and have found their listed BC's to be somewhat elusive to find on their site and even more elusive to achieve in testing....for example what is shown on my older box of 100g 6mm is G1 .550 and what they now list is .470..... that is a HUGE difference, and even lower in my actual testing.
thumbnail (22).jpg
thumbnail (17).jpg

Last edited: