Hammer Hunter in 270?

Steve do you have data for Rl26 and the 117's in a 270 win? I'm at 3190's with 140 sst and accubonds. If I can get 34-3500+ with the 117's with Rl26( I have 23#'s of the stuff) I'll be ordering. Also interested in a 308 tac load that will rival the base 6.5 creed loads. Thank you
For those interested I tried the 177grn 7mm bullet in a 280ai 7tw last March. The 2 bullets were in the .25 range at 300yds. I used a proven 183 serria load with H4831 and had over 2900fps. If I took some time with a box with that rifle. I'm sure with rl26 3000fps and single digit ES with good brass, meaning trued necks and .001 or less run out would produce benchrest 1000yd accuracy from a hunting weight gun.

Great info @RockyMtnMT, thanks for taking the time to post.

I get what you are saying about the flat nose after the petals come off. Very similar to the euro 'hide cutter' concept - the only difference is theirs is designed for the entrance, and yours for the exit (and everything in between). I'm not a hammer customer yet, but being a big fan of exit wounds and after finding many bullets just under the hide, the design makes intuitive sense to me.

I may have to refine my ammo handling practices though, just don't like the idea of pocket lint or dirt plugging the hollow point.

Steve do you have data for Rl26 and the 117's in a 270 win? If I can get 34-3500+ with the 117's with Rl26( I have 23#'s of the stuff) I'll be ordering.
Based on my work with RL-16 and H-4350 with the 117, I don't think that there is any way you can physically stuff enough RL-26 in a 270Win case to get your target speeds.

I couldn't really hit 3300 with the RL-16, and 59.0 of the H-4350 was getting to be close to the end. 3300fps was consistently attainable with that powder.

However, if you can do it with RL-26 then let us know.

Based on my work with RL-16 and H-4350 with the 117, I don't think that there is any way you can physically stuff enough RL-26 in a 270Win case to get your target speeds.

I couldn't really hit 3300 with the RL-16, and 59.0 of the H-4350 was getting to be close to the end. 3300fps was consistently attainable with that powder.

However, if you can do it with RL-26 then let us know.
Closest powder I have to those is varget and that is just for one rifle. I have 100v I could try I guess. Thanks

IMR4350 is very good in the 270 with the 117g Hammer Hunter. We got close to 3350 fps in ours. If I remember correctly we stopped at 57g. Don't have my journal in front of me now.

Steve

I've loaded up 140 NAB with RL26 and it's a real 'hammer'! I'm getting obscene MV with that combo with no pressure signs. Let's just say I'm 3100fps+. That powder sure changes the playing field with a 270. You can PM for info you'd like.
My barrel is a 1:10 twist. Will that stabilize a 140?

I've loaded up 140 NAB with RL26 and it's a real 'hammer'! I'm getting obscene MV with that combo with no pressure signs. Let's just say I'm 3100fps+. That powder sure changes the playing field with a 270. You can PM for info you'd like.
A real hammer. I see what you did there, that's pretty funny!

Steve

........I may have to refine my ammo handling practices though, just don't like the idea of pocket lint or dirt plugging the hollow point..........

Hollow points are a subject in and of themselves. The current hollow point has evolved to a little larger than initially offered.

Last time I was at Cabela's I picked up a box of nosler bt 130 gr. To play with until my sledgehammers get here. Hopefully I'll make most of my mistakes on the bullets that are $.47 rather than the ones that cost $1.30 each.

Last time I was at Cabela's I picked up a box of nosler bt 130 gr. To play with until my sledgehammers get here. Hopefully I'll make most of my mistakes on the bullets that are $.47 rather than the ones that cost $1.30 each.

Well played! As long as I can remember I've had practice ammo and hunting ammo. With luck (or careful arduous load development) they'll shoot to a similar POI out to 300yd. What powder are you trying? Looking forward to the results!