Hammer Hunter for 280 AI

VO2MaxFF

Hi,
I'm torn… have found that my 280AI shoots single hole .25 groups reliably using 169gr .284 Hammer Hunter projectiles. I've proven them out to 700yds and am confident they will impact where I wish at long-er range (I try not to shoot at game "long range" if I can help it). The conundrum I'm having is their lower BC compared to let's say, a Nosler ABLR or Berger VLD hunting bullet. I have yet to connect on animal with this rifle and after operator error/stupid mistake I haven't proven the Hammer Hunter's ability.

What I'm looking for in a bullet is reliable accuracy, "knock down" power (if we care to describe it this way), and blood trails or bang-flop. I had a load developed for the same
rifle using a 168gr Barnes LRX but I am
not happy with the outcome.

Should I stick with the impeccably reliable accuracy using the HH or continue testing?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Should I stick with the impeccably reliable accuracy using the HH or continue testing?

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Impeccable precision requires no further testing. Work on your accuracy to put the projectile in the intended POI in varying field conditions.

BC sells bullets... the trigger puller prevails in the end.

Hi,
I'm torn… have found that my 280AI shoots single hole .25 groups reliably using 169gr .284 Hammer Hunter projectiles. I've proven them out to 700yds and am confident they will impact where I wish at long-er range (I try not to shoot at game "long range" if I can help it). The conundrum I'm having is their lower BC compared to let's say, a Nosler ABLR or Berger VLD hunting bullet. I have yet to connect on animal with this rifle and after operator error/stupid mistake I haven't proven the Hammer Hunter's ability.

What I'm looking for in a bullet is reliable accuracy, "knock down" power (if we care to describe it this way), and blood trails or bang-flop. I had a load developed for the same
rifle using a 168gr Barnes LRX but I am
not happy with the outcome.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

Yes!

I agree with the other comments. If it's shooting that good, why change? As long as you have a fast enough twist to stabilize that long bullet, I see no real negative. With the heavier bullet you may not get the dramatic high speed impacts of say a 131 or 143 HH. Personally I shoot the 140 AH out of my 280 AI at 3300 FPS. But like yourself I have not shot any game with it. Unless you like to tinker I'd shoot this bullet you're using now until you harvest some game. Then if there's something you don't like about it, then I'd change bullets.

My 280 AI likes the Berger 168 VLD's and 175 Elite hunters. I see consistent groups .25-.33. .10 of the lands for the VLDs and .20 for the Elite hunters. I have shot the 168s out to 1400. Just transitioning over to the 175s.

I agree with the other comments. If it's shooting that good, why change? As long as you have a fast enough twist to stabilize that long bullet, I see no real negative. With the heavier bullet you may not get the dramatic high speed impacts of say a 131 or 143 HH. Personally I shoot the 140 AH out of my 280 AI at 3300 FPS. But like yourself I have not shot any game with it. Unless you like to tinker I'd shoot this bullet you're using now until you harvest some game. Then if there's something you don't like about it, then I'd change bullets.
@BEEMAN Would you be willing to share your load data for the 140AH ? Thanks

I haven't tried the 169 HH yet, but have tried 143 and 155 in my 280ai. If you are getting great results with the 169, it is definitely something you want to keep in your great load box. The 168 VLD was a bit finicky, but I really didn't put much work into it. If you are going after Elk or other tough critters, I can see going with 169's. For deer the lighter HH or AH will be more than enough IMO. If BC is your desire, think about Badlands BD2 or Cutting Edge in a mono. For some reason I have never had great results with ABLR's in my rifles.

I can vouch for the 143 HH in a 280AI, my boy has 4 kills with this bullet and it flat out works. The buck in my avitar was taken last year at 229 yards performance was awesome. His farthest was 385 yards one and done. I have taken two bucks with the 143's as well but in a 7mm rem mag. I would bet the 143 will be just as accurate as the 169's. A good friend or mine tried the 169's in his 7saum and they seem to really drop at the 900 to 1000 yard ranges. I believe he went to the 143's. Good luck and happy shooting, Jason

Thanks for the responses, all. It's funny, we all search for "the" bullet, load and node and when we find it we second guess our selection! I guess I need to stop overthinking it. Will be using this set up for an Idaho elk trip this October and want to make sure my choices prove effective and to humanely kill such a majestic beast. Have only taken elk with a stick and string thus far.

Will be testing this load out on bears in WA come August. Getting 2940fps, using 49gr H4831, Nosler brass and Fed match grade primers. Interestingly, seating depth, using the HH bullets was about as easy as it gets… fit the projectile to my magazine and made sure they weren't jammed. That was it.

Erik

The 143gr would be fine, I shoot the 143 and 160gr Mcguire monos out of my 280ai with rl23, 58-59gr using Peterson brass. Whatever shoots the best for you, but the 143 should be blazing fast, mine is 3170fps.