280 Rem data for 280 AI

LongWalker

Not wanting to assume anything with reloading as almost every time I do I get bitten on the keister, if I'm using reloading data for 280 Rem for my 280AI, can I start at the max charge weight or should I back off that a tad?

Your sage advice is most appreciated.

are you fireforming your brass.then no.light loads.i shoot 140 gr nosler partitions loaded with rl22 63.7 gr..works best in my rifle.always start low,work loads up till you see what your gun likes.it makes big holes

I should have been more specific on the bullet and powder. I'm looking to run the 150gr ELD-X in front of RE-16 and also want to work up the 175gr Berger Elite Hunter in front of RE-23 or RE-26. I have good info for the 175 Berger but Alliant doesn't have any AI data and none of Hornady's, Nosler's, etc. data has RE-16. They do have it for 280 Rem with the 154 SST at 2850fps for 51.4gr of RE-16.

I run RE-16 in both my 6.5 Creeds so I have a bunch of it and I don't know that I need the 175 Berger for SE US whitetails and hogs.

IMHO RL 16 is a little fast in the AI even with 140's but you never know until you try.

If your brass has already been fireformed, you can start with 280 max loads. If you are fireforming, no max loads you need a reduced charge and seat the bullets where they will contact the rifling this will form the case. For what its worth imr 4831 is my got to load with 139 spire point.

If your brass has already been fireformed, you can start with 280 max loads. If you are fireforming, no max loads you need a reduced charge and seat the bullets where they will contact the rifling this will form the case. For what its worth imr 4831 is my got to load with 139 spire point.

That makes sense. If all I use the RE-16 for is fire forming to the chamber (not for the AI part since I'm using Nosler AI brass) it will be a plus. If it works for the 150 even better.

Settled on 62 grains of H4831sc 215m primers pushing 145 hammers to 3180 fps if I do my part in this light rifle groups in the .4's

What kind of velocity with the 150? I might give that a try myself. The 139 is kinda slow, only about 3090.

Still waiting on my barrel to finish the build. According to Alliant 2850 for regular 280 Rem. Copper Creek Ammo lists their 280AI 150 ELD-X load at 3050. I'm hoping for somewhere around that.

Recently acquired a 280 Rem myself. I have been assembling components and have done a fair amount of research on starting loads, spanning several manuals, Quickload and OPD (other people's data).

Most published 280 Rem data is quite conservative (~58000psi), not only that it typically doesn't include the slower burning powders that are much better optimized for the case. Though 280AI is no longer a wildcat, data for either is pretty limited. In either case .270 Win data can be useful - 270 win with a 140gr is really close to 280 Rem with a 150.

Check this out;
http://www.bergerbullets.com/pdf/270-Win-140gr.pdf

To be clear, I suggest avoiding 280rem data because even though you will be safe starting your AI at 280 Rem's book max, you will probably be using too fast a powder.

Use 270win starting loads (1 bullet weight lighter) = use slower powders = be more happy.

re-23, re-26, IMR 7828ssc, H1000 accurate magpro, ram shot magnum - that's where you will find velocity and casefill without pressure. Yes, even with 150's!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.