280 ai

Full Auto

Hey guys, would anyone want to talk about the 280 AI. Pro's and Cons. I have this action laying around and was reading about this caliber. My gunsmith thinks its great. Thanks and good shooting.

TO ALL VETERANS HAVE A GREAT DAY NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE. AIRBORNE.
Retired USA:)

.280 AI is a phenomenal caliber. You can also buy new Nosler .280 AI brass to help save a step for reloading. Velocities will be about 150 fps faster than a 7mm-08, and about 150 fps slower than a 7mm RemMag. So, it is right in the middle. Barrel life will be great, brass life is great, and it is a very efficient caliber. I would shoot 168 Berger VLD's.

As long as everything goes to plan, my next build will be a .280 AI. I already have a .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, and a .300 Ackley Improved Magnum (based off the .300 Wby).

The only thing to make sure is that your smith has a SAAMI /Nosler spec .280 AI reamer, and not the older original PO Ackley spec reamer, that has slightly different chamber specs.

Love to talk about mine. My 280ai was a 9.5 tiwst that stacked 150bt and to a slightly lesser extent the 160nab took dozens of deer and much much more hogs. Then I got this "afull" long range virus and I had to shoot 168 bergers! Well the rifle did not like bergers it did shoot 162 a-max somewhat but not like the noslers. So I rebarelled with 9 twist 26" 5R and it looks like I have a shooter. I have a couple of loads that exceed 2950fps but not sure where my accuracy load will be probably less velocity. Mike

Love the 280AI. I have am mgarms ultralight and shoot the 150 Barnes tsx. It is one awesome combo. Everything shot with it has been lights out

Thanks all, I have a P17 that is going to the smitty for renewed life. Will check on the reamer, thanks. Will keep u updated. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.