280 AI action

flopearedmule

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and to long range shooting.....I've been reading for a couple days now. great website!

My question is ........ I want to build a 280 AI and I was wondering if a large Rem 700 will work with the longer VLD bullets (168 grains)? or do I have to go to the magnum action?
Thanks

Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and to long range shooting.....I've been reading for a couple days now. great website!

My question is ........ I want to build a 280 AI and I was wondering if a large Rem 700 will work with the longer VLD bullets (168 grains)? or do I have to go to the magnum action?
Thanks

280AI is a regular long action cartridge.
A 280AI is nothing more than a 280 rem that has been fire formed - it has been popular enough that Nosler is now producing 280AI brass so you don't have to fire form anymore if you do not want to. The 280 is nothing more than a necked down 30-06 so you could rebarrel any regular long action in a .270, 30-06 or any other caliber with that bolt face and have a 280AI. Or you could take a regular 280 Rem and have it rechambered to the AI cartridge and you'd be good to go.
I would suggest a minimum barrel lenght of 24" with a 1-10" twist if you're hoping to stabilize the 168 VLD's.
PS: welcome to the forum from an old transplanted So. Dakotan

Hi,

Thanks
Yes, a standard bolt face (.25-06, .270, .280, .30-06) 700 long action will work just fine. Plus, all the things Cowboy said.

Thanks guys
I understand the history with the 280. I just thought the round might be too long with the VLD bullets. My 6.5 x 284 would not work very good in a short action, so I thought it might be the same with the 280.
I think the parent case for 6.5 was a short action? I built mine with a doner 30-06.

Just built my .280AI this spring off an old Rem 721 that was a standard .270Win. I'm loading both the 168 hunting vld's and the 180 hybrids with a small jump to the lands and have plenty of room still in the magazine.

Just built my .280AI this spring off an old Rem 721 that was a standard .270Win. I'm loading both the 168 hunting vld's and the 180 hybrids with a small jump to the lands and have plenty of room still in the magazine.

Thanks blackdog. That's what I was wondering. I didn't want to buy a gun and spend all my time blueprinting and chambering. And find out I need a bigger action.
How do you like your 280AI? What is the fps your getting with it?
I have about four friends talked into building one instead of a 7MM so the cost of the reamer is cheaper. And the cost of the action is cheaper.

Thanks blackdog. That's what I was wondering. I didn't want to buy a gun and spend all my time blueprinting and chambering. And find out I need a bigger action.
How do you like your 280AI? What is the fps your getting with it?
I have about four friends talked into building one instead of a 7MM so the cost of the reamer is cheaper. And the cost of the action is cheaper.

I'm loving my 280AI!! I started out load development with 168g Berger VLD's because that's all I could find. Found fast and accurate loads with H1000, H4831sc, and H1000. Ran into case capacity issues with all of them before seeing pressure signs. Settled on a H1000 load that runs right at 3000fps and shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at 300 yards. I recently was able to get some 180g Hybrids and those are what I'll be moving to. Worked up a load with those yesterday shooting 2930fps at 1/2 moa and I'd much rather shoot the heavier hybrid bullet and give up only 70fps.

There's a bighorn sheep with my name on it that in less than 30 days now will get to find out just how well they actually perform in the field! :)

I'm loving my 280AI!! I started out load development with 168g Berger VLD's because that's all I could find. Found fast and accurate loads with H1000, H4831sc, and H1000. Ran into case capacity issues with all of them before seeing pressure signs. Settled on a H1000 load that runs right at 3000fps and shoots 1/2 to 3/4 MOA at 300 yards. I recently was able to get some 180g Hybrids and those are what I'll be moving to. Worked up a load with those yesterday shooting 2930fps at 1/2 moa and I'd much rather shoot the heavier hybrid bullet and give up only 70fps.

There's a bighorn sheep with my name on it that in less than 30 days now will get to find out just how well they actually perform in the field! :)
Keep us informed...I have yet to use the 180 Hybrids on game. Just the 168 VLD's so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.