Hammer Hunter 375 Cal 395 wt first taste

Roy,
Please don't swage these bullets down a caliber, or insert tips in them. I know you're a compulsive tinkerer. :D I want to learn how they perform in their unadulterated condition, straight from the box!

Ha! It's gonna be tough! They are proving accurate enough thatmy GPS guidance idea isn't needed.

However I am thinking about fletchiing or vanes but haven't figured out how to attach them. I'll give super glue first dibs though. It worked well on those primers.:)

I am going to video the next shot into the media. Expending~6546 ft-lbs of energy in 18" should be interesting to see. I'm thinkin that would put the hurt on some mighty large amanals. gun,

Question, these solid copper bullets are longer per weight than lead core due to density differences correct? So would you need a faster twist rate?

TK,

Generally speaking you are correct in your question. A mono metal copper bullet of the exact same form of a lead core bullet will be lighter. A mono of the same weight as a lead core bullet will typically be longer. Needed twist is calculated by bullet length, and bullet weight, with atmospheric conditions in there too. Bullet weight is a big part of needed twist. The heavier a bullet is for its length the less twist it needs. We started developing our line of bullets first with a bullet in each cal designed for factory twist rates. On our web site we listed the recommended twist needed for each bullet. We made this calculation at sea level and modest temp of 59*. We list the length and weight on each bullet as well so you can take those numbers to an online twist calculator and use your altitude and temp to see if a particular bullet will work for you. JBM Calculations has a twist calculator that is easy to use.

I have been thinking about adding to our bullet descriptions a recommended twist for each at 3000ft elevation.

Although bullets will fly accurately at marginal stability they will lose some % of bc. But for us more important is the effect of terminal ballistics when a bullet is under stabilized. The better stabilize a bullet is the better it will stay point oriented in the intended direction of travel. Keeping the point oriented will ensure proper expansion of the bullet. Think of the bullet as a top. The faster the top spins the better is stays on it's point. As the spin slows the heavy part of the top, or the base of the bullet, will tip over or pass the tip. Tumbling bullets on impact will do heavy damage but are unpredictable as to what direction they will travel on impact. I think that many times what people think of as a bullet failure was probably a lack of stability keeping the bullet point in the line of travel on impact so that the bullet could expand.

Steve

Terminal Performance:

From previous post on this thread:

What I can say though is the ThhWoommpp when that 395 HH went over the MagnetoSpeed at 3034 FPS and hit that 12" diameter X 24" length piece of irrigation mainline @ 300 yards, filled with soaking wet Canadian peat moss was quite a sound.

All major pieces of the bullet that I could find, 257 grains worth, travelled a full 18" in the media which matches any other bullet I've fired into it at that distance. That would be except for some not to be named 252 gr 338 aluminum tipped offerings that didn't open up.

These pieces were directly in the line of flight path for the 18" travel through the media and were found in an area about the size of my fist. (9 1/2 glove size :))

Impact velocity (Estimated): (Geeze my AB app went bonkers:roll eyes:) IIRC from yesterday impact bel was on the order of 28xx w/an energy of 6546/6456 (dyslexic here) ft-lbs.

Me thinks thats a bit harsh for a simple piece of copper.:roll eyes:

Attachments

• IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1380.JPG
    IMG_1380.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 54
Hey Roy,

I think there is still two more big pieces in there that you haven't found yet. I think that would make a big hole in most any thing. It would be like hitting something with 4 100g .243 bullets simultaneously. I'm going to start another thread to discuss terminal performance.

Steve

I really want to be on the gun or the spotter when one of these plows a moose at 1800, kinda my happy thought for the evening:D
Just had an even better thought, grizzly season 2017 in MT, Boom!!!

I set the bullet catch media at the 578 yard mark this morning.

Took a bit of doing. Am tuning up a mare and had her pull the stone boat with the stuff in it. Worked pretty well, the horse that is.

Got back to the shooting spot and the thing was in a bit of a swale and I couldn't see it. Said some nice words... But didn't have time to reposition. Will do so tomorrow morning.

Wanted to confirm 300 yard zero so I took that shot.

MV = 3034. 147 grains H-50 BMG, deep seat all bands covered, FED 215 primers.

Attachments

• IMG_1443.JPG
    IMG_1443.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 46
Those .375" diameter holes show up really well on white target paper. As my eyes get older, I can see the benefits!

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the HH boys came up with another idea. I get the idea that they read my mind. Most probably after a bit of midnight oil, FEDEX arrived at my place with an unexpected surprise. Kind of blew my socks off.

Either of the two offerings would have blown the socks but the "updated" 375 Cals are sexier than. . . better not go there. :roll eyes:

I could say a lot about this new version of the 392 offering but sticking with my new succinct modus operandi I'll let the data and pics do the talking.

After some machining on the seating die seating guide I slapped a load together. Picked 145 gr H-50 BMG as a start. Was running 147 grains with the version 1s.

Shot the shot. Figured she could stand another grain of powder. Nope! Not much more velocity but I experience a bit of pain palming the bolt open. After the bold was lifted extraction was easy. Simply too much pressure. (I hate that)

Went back to 145 gr and finished the 3 shot group.

4 clicks up and I'm ready for some distance. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 393 HH V-2 First Shots.jpg
    393 HH V-2 First Shots.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.