Hammer Hunter 375 Cal 395 wt first taste

I wonder if you did not get that extra bit of powder because they were not hbn coated?

Also not as much vel because of hbn?

Good news is they look like they are going to run great out of the 10" twist. I can't wait for you to stretch them out. Let's see what that rifle was made to do.

Steve

Steve,

They were hbn coated.

I hbn everything I now shoot.

If you would golf ball dimple some maybe enough of the hbn would stick to make a nice dust trail. Would look good on the video.:D

I "think" I see some tumbler marks in the pic. I suppose jackets are harder than these alloys?

I'm thinking that any tumbler roughness is not a good thing. I have a simple process in mind to do a better more gentle HBN film layer. Will see how it works.

Steve,

They were hbn coated.

I hbn everything I now shoot.

If you would golf ball dimple some maybe enough of the hbn would stick to make a nice dust trail. Would look good on the video.:D

I "think" I see some tumbler marks in the pic. I suppose jackets are harder than these alloys?

I'm thinking that any tumbler roughness is not a good thing. I have a simple process in mind to do a better more gentle HBN film layer. Will see how it works.

I would say that the jacket material is harder than the pure copper. It is usually some type of brass alloy.

Steve

Steve and Roy,

I love what I'm hearing out of these bullets. Job well done.

Question...

I'm building a gun for my son Zayne. 375/378 improved (375 Zayne). The neck is shortened, the taper taken out, and yes, a 40 degree shoulder. Should be able to hold a bunch of powder. With that being said, the only real heavy bullets are offered by Cutting Edge. Have you tried the 395 in a 375 Rum or 378 Weatherby to see if more horsepower make's them better? The 350 Sierra has been wonderful in my 375 Rum, however there is always room for improvement. Plus, I would rather support the smaller businesses if I can.

Thanks....

Jayson

Steve and Roy,

Question...

I'm building a gun for my son Zayne. 375/378 improved (375 Zayne). The neck is shortened, the taper taken out, and yes, a 40 degree shoulder. Should be able to hold a bunch of powder. With that being said, the only real heavy bullets are offered by Cutting Edge. Have you tried the 395 in a 375 Rum or 378 Weatherby to see if more horsepower make's them better? The 350 Sierra has been wonderful in my 375 Rum, however there is always room for improvement. Plus, I would rather support the smaller businesses if I can.

Thanks....

Jayson

I think the main thing that will be necessary is that the rifle have a 10" twist. We just received a barrel with an 8" twist that will be chambered with a .338 Lapua 40* shoulder. We will be running this bullet with it and we are now starting on plans for possibly a 450g version. With an 8" twist we gotta see what we can do. Right?

In my opinion the mono bullets are better off with as much stability as possible. For that matter I believe this to be the case with any bullet that if for hunting/being used for terminal effect. Higher stability ensures that the bullet stay oriented point first on impact making sure that the bullet functions as intended. If a bullet yaws on impact then the bullet will not work as designed. Punching paper does not require as much attention to the sg.

Steve

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. This rifle is being built by JE Custom. We both decided on a 10 twist for exactly the reason you stated. I am very interested in buying a box to try in my 375 rum and in the 375 Zayne. Can I purchase these bullets on your website?

I couldn't agree with you more Steve. This rifle is being built by JE Custom. We both decided on a 10 twist for exactly the reason you stated. I am very interested in buying a box to try in my 375 rum and in the 375 Zayne. Can I purchase these bullets on your website?

I had not loaded them on the site as I was waiting on Roy to fire them to be sure that they would not fail to shoot accurately. They are the same design as our others so I felt sure that they would be fine, but I hate to load an un tested bullet onto the web site. I will get them on the site today so you can order some. Thank you.

I am waiting on Roy to shoot a drop with them to calc a shot BC. They should be great.

Steve

Steve and Roy,

Question...

I'm building a gun for my son Zayne. 375/378 improved (375 Zayne). The neck is shortened, the taper taken out, and yes, a 40 degree shoulder. Should be able to hold a bunch of powder. With that being said, the only real heavy bullets are offered by Cutting Edge. Have you tried the 395ý in a 375 Rum or 378 Weatherby to see if more horsepower make's them better? The 350 Sierra has been wonderful in my 375 Rum, however there is always room for improvement. Plus, I would rather support the smaller businesses if I can.

Thanks....

Jayson

Jayson,

I don't quite understand your question regarding more horsepower.

I'm pushing both versions of the 392 HH ahead of 145 grains of 50 BMG at 3030 fps.

FYI the 350 SMK goes a bit over 3300 with a bit more of these same powder and seems a bit conservative regarding pressure and case life.

Sorry Roy.. Somewhere in my head I thought you were using the 375 H&H. I certainly agree there are plenty of horses in the Allen Mag. I'm conservatively projecting 8-10 more grains of powder in my 375/378 Weatherby Improved (375 Zayne) so your testing is right up my alley!

Sorry for the confusion...thanks for sharing your results!

Sorry Roy.. Somewhere in my head I thought you were using the 375 H&H. I certainly agree there are plenty of horses in the Allen Mag. I'm conservatively projecting 8-10 more grains of powder in my 375/378 Weatherby Improved (375 Zayne) so your testing is right up my alley!

Sorry for the confusion...thanks for sharing your results!

How many grains of what powder are you figuring to use in the 375 Zayne?

Steve

I guess it will come down to efficiency. My goal was to build a "hot rod" for my son. I have always been a fan of big bore cartridges and thought it would be fun to wildcat a Weatherby. I was "hoping" to get somewhere in the 130 grain area. I have always liked to stay on the conservative side of things until I can see for sure what the final result will be. It's been a super fun build...the best part, is he has no idea I'm building it for him.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.