Hammer Bullets

It wasn't me - I have always chased high bc bullets. So yeah, I am a little skeptical - is it bad to question stuff? To your point I haven't seen anybody throw up specific examples or pictures of animals killed over 600 yards on this thread either...nor does it come up regularly on any other threads. What does come up regularly are Bergers and ELDMs. Also, outside of LRH (which is where I have spent most of my time) your bullets aren't mentioned a whole lot. Its interesting how defensive you and everybody that uses your bullets get. I know the tone of a post is hard to interpret sometimes, but you are coming at a guy who was ready to pull the trigger on some of your bullets a couple weeks ago and decided to do a little more research. I didn't start this thread and I don't have a problem with your product man. I think its great that we have options. After this little back and forth I am inclined to continue to give my money to berger.

What lead me to cutting edge bullets a few years ago is they were the only ones offering an 8mm bullet with a high BC for my 325 wsm.
All I asked you to do is qualify yourself as a prominent critic. There are many guys on this site that I hold on high regard that do not use our bullets. I value their input and long range hunting ability. I never hear them talk poorly about a product, particularly if they have little or no experience with it. Take that for what it is worth. If you want to give them a go, I will give you everything I've got. If not that is fine.

I will say Steve at hammer bullets is a great guy to deal with and puts out great bullets . Every time I call he makes time to talk even tho I'm sure he is busy. He never makes me feel that he is trying to get off the phone to get back to work. I do use some of his bullets and have had great on game results and East load work up, and I use Bergers and eldm. He has great customer service and always willing to help with load work. I can say calling other bullet manufacturers I don't get the same treatment. That might just be me but, I'm very happy with hammers and will keep using them .

..... 7 or faster still?........

1-8" works. In general having seen actual measured barrels not quite what they were intended, I would go 1-7" unlikely to hurt, and opens the door for running heavier.

Faster? Not sure if it will be in a time frame that helps you, but I have a 1-6" 6.5 Ultra Cat, waiting testing with the 124's. More intense than what you're looking at, but maybe some insights into faster twist on that specific bullet will come from it.

All I asked you to do is qualify yourself as a prominent critic. There are many guys on this site that I hold on high regard that do not use our bullets. I value their input and long range hunting ability. I never hear them talk poorly about a product, particularly if they have little or no experience with it. Take that for what it is worth. If you want to give them a go, I will give you everything I've got. If not that is fine.
Steve he must shoot slow low rpm stuff🤣. Bergers wont hold together in my hotrods! They why i use hammers!

So, assuming we want to optimize for the 124gr 6.5 Hammer Hunter. How fast do we go? The rifle I have now is an 8 twist. I have another that I am considering rebarreling to 6.5, probably a Rock Creek Cut 5R barrel. Yes they are both 6.5 CM :rolleyes:

7 or faster still?

I'm not a 6.5mm expert. I'm don't even own a .264 call rifle of any flavor though I would like one. But the 124 hammer is listed at a minimum 8 twist so a 7 should be good. 6 or 6.5 might be better. Like I said not a 6.5mm expert so my advice might not be the best.

I'm not a 6.5mm expert. I'm don't even own a .264 call rifle of any flavor though I would like one. But the 124 hammer is listed at a minimum 8 twist so a 7 should be good. 6 or 6.5 might be better. Like I said not a 6.5mm expert so my advice might not be the best.
I run the 124 at 3550 in a 26 Nosler 8t. Its a 1000 yd gun! My buddy runs them in a 8t 6.5 creedmoor at 3000! U wont be disappointed!

Here's some terminal damage from the 199 hammer hunter on an Oryx.

Entrance inside the rib cage
EB54D7BE-4FAA-4352-89CD-4B33352A44FD.jpeg

Exit inside the rib cage.
0E137157-5C2A-4EC6-A8CD-44517C2B15AB.jpeg

Exit outside
713AF8F6-1DFA-49AF-AF3A-DE88457641E4.jpeg

As you can see on the entrance wound the petals were being shed and they helped tear a big hole and aided in the complete destruction of lung material. The exit you can see the petals stopped somewhere in the chest cavity and the exit wound is the main shank of the bullet exiting.

Here's some terminal damage from the 199 hammer hunter on an Oryx.

Entrance inside the rib cage
View attachment 171724

Exit inside the rib cage.
View attachment 171726

Exit outside
View attachment 171725

As you can see on the entrance wound the petals were being shed and they helped tear a big hole and aided in the complete destruction of lung material. The exit you can see the petals stopped somewhere in the chest cavity and the exit wound is the main shank of the bullet exiting.
Looks like the 199 hammers worked good for you . How far was the shot? And what are you shooting them out of and what velocity? I have a 30 Sherman and thinking about trying the 199 hammers..

Looks like the 199 hammers worked good for you . How far was the shot? And what are you shooting them out of and what velocity? I have a 30 Sherman and thinking about trying the 199 hammers..

They did work well. So far I've shot 4 animals with the 199s. An Aoudad ram at 225 yards, a javalina boar at 200, a red sheep ewe at 75 and an oryx cow at 150. Furthest a critter made it was 20 yards. I'm shooting them out of a X-bolt hells canyon long range in .300 win mag with the 8 twist barrel. ADG Brass, H1000, Fed215m primers, loaded to mag length. Sub .5MOA to 600 yards at 3128FPS.

@RockyMtnMT , so I have no need for any bullets at all as I am way over stocked on hunting bullets, but wife and I are considering your bullets for less meat damage and to avoid lead on game.

What bullet would you recommend for:
- 7mm-08 with 24" barrel with a 1 in 9.25 twist
-7mm Rem Mag with a 26" with a 1 in 9.25 twist

Both factory Remington 700's.

Thanks in advance.

They did work well. So far I've shot 4 animals with the 199s. An Aoudad ram at 225 yards, a javalina boar at 200, a red sheep ewe at 75 and an oryx cow at 150. Furthest a critter made it was 20 yards. I'm shooting them out of a X-bolt hells canyon long range in .300 win mag with the 8 twist barrel. ADG Brass, H1000, Fed215m primers, loaded to mag length. Sub .5MOA to 600 yards at 3128FPS.
I just ordered some 230 Bergers and was bouncing back and forth on what hammers to try also the 181 or 199 HH I think I will order some 199 and see what it can do

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.