Hammer bullets on AR500

Are you comparing 3/8 to 1/2" plates on m855lap ammo? If so, I can say my 1/2" AR500 plate has taken thousands of m855lap rounds without incident or any harmful damage. Just tiny dings/dents is all.

Not sure where you got plate thickness comparisons or m855ammo. ??

I'm just bringing attention to the fact that there are plates available (AR550), that are harder than AR500, that may meet the needs of some shooters.

Not sure where you got plate thickness comparisons or m855ammo. ??

I'm just bringing attention to the fact that there are plates available (AR550), that are harder than AR500, that may meet the needs of some shooters.
I've seen some 550 plate at reasonable prices, but the 1/2" 550 works for me. On a few other forums there's been post about what ranges they go to and ammo they can't use due to putting holes thru the 500 plates. That's utter nonsense of reasoning, but maybe on very thin 500 it could happen? The lap projectiles will not damage the plate enough when using 1/2" (I can't speak for thinner plating). Comparisons on plate type using monos (which I've shot on the same plate and lap also only does minor dings/dents). Your statement was about shooter's needs if needing a heavier duty plate and I was going off and adding onto that.

I bought several 3/4" AR500 plates for 50BMG from Shoot Steel. Even then they say 300-400 yards minimum for 50BMG and ELR chamberings, but they work well on smaller calibers so far also. Really stout plates.

I've seen some 550 plate at reasonable prices, but the 1/2" 550 works for me. On a few other forums there's been post about what ranges they go to and ammo they can't use due to putting holes thru the 500 plates. That's utter nonsense of reasoning, but maybe on very thin 500 it could happen? The lap projectiles will not damage the plate enough when using 1/2" (I can't speak for thinner plating). Comparisons on plate type using monos (which I've shot on the same plate and lap also only does minor dings/dents). Your statement was about shooter's needs if needing a heavier duty plate and I was going off and adding onto that.

If I was dinging AR500 plates, I'd look at the AR550 plates because dinged plates cause lead to fly in unpredictable directions. Flat plates mounted on a slight angle seem to divert projectiles in a rather predictable direction, down normally. I have noticed that hard plates that are not mounted at a slight angle do splatter lead in a 360 pattern around the plate. If paper targets are mounted near the plates, they get torn up with lead splatter.

If I was dinging AR500 plates, I'd look at the AR550 plates because dinged plates cause lead to fly in unpredictable directions. Flat plates mounted on a slight angle seem to divert projectiles in a rather predictable direction, down normally. I have noticed that hard plates that are not mounted at a slight angle do splatter lead in a 360 pattern around the plate. If paper targets are mounted near the plates, they get torn up with lead splatter.
Jerry Miculek put a cardboard tube around the front of a plate and shot it with a handgun. Like you said, 360 degree dispersion.

The mount forthr torso sized plates I have came with the plates and were sloped down to deflect that way. I've shot the plates ad close as 15 yards.