Hammer bullets on AR500

cornstalker

Good afternoon.

My gun club does not allow the use of monolithic bullets on club steel. I have a chunk of 3/8" AR500. The rule at the club gives me cause for pause.

Will Hammer bullets ruin my steel at 400-600 yards?

(300 PRC, 203 HHT at 2970 MV)

In my experience, It's all about impact velocity. Needs to be below 2800fps if I remember correct, Tagging in for others info

Run it to 600yds and see what happens!
James

In my experience, It's all about impact velocity. Needs to be below 2800fps if I remember correct, Tagging in for others info

Run it to 600yds and see what happens!
James
I would rather not wreck my steel to find out, if I can learn from the experiences of others. Lol.

Good afternoon.

My gun club does not allow the use of monolithic bullets on club steel. I have a chunk of 3/8" AR500. The rule at the club gives me cause for pause.

Will Hammer bullets ruin my steel at 400-600 yards?

(300 PRC, 203 HHT at 2970 MV)
Are you sure they are not talking about M855 or steel core bullets? Maybe someone has a misunderstanding of what monolithic means, most are copper. I dont see how a copper hunting bullet would hurt 3/8" AR500 steel...

140gn Absolute Hammer on my 3/8 steel gong, 3200MV, 400yds only left splat marks. Not even a dent.
1708815992719.jpeg

Are you sure they are not talking about M855 or steel core bullets? Maybe someone has a misunderstanding of what monolithic means, most are copper. I dont see how a copper hunting bullet would hurt 3/8" AR500 steel...

140gn Absolute Hammer on my 3/8 steel gong, 3200MV, 400yds only left splat marks. Not even a dent.
View attachment 547107
They listed mono metal bullets and M855/Steel core on the prohibited list.

Good to know. I would guess there wouldn't be much chance of damage at 400+ yards but thought I should ask first.

They listed mono metal bullets and M855/Steel core on the prohibited list.
Then someone doesn't understand what monolithic bullets are. Ive seen some in all brass, but nobodys gonna make let alone shoot a monolithic made from steel that can penetrate AR500 steel.

Could be. I ain't gonna fuss about the rules, I will just follow them. The range is a great privilege to me, so I will just bring my own steel and keep on trucking.

They won't allow any jacketed bullets of any kind on the pistol steel either. Overly cautious for sure.

I've shot 3/8" and 1/2" Ar500 steel at 300 yards with Hammer bullets. 243AI at 3600ish MV. no problems at all.

Only issues I've ever run into is the hanging method. If its not a "captured" mount, and too much impact energy, it will swing the plate over the top and it falls off the hanger. Funny to watch, but a pain to have to place back on the hanger.;)

If the steel is hanging and allowed to swing freely, no issues.

Mounted solidly, or allowed to rest against something, then you may burn a hole right through it that you can literally stick your finger through.

At our club we have numerous steel targets hanging at 200yds and 400yds. I've shot plenty of Hammer bullets at them from 6.5PRC, 7WSM, 30Nosler and 338RUM. There isn't a dimple in a single plate.

The only exception is the few large soft steel discs that were formally some kind of farm equipment. They dimple like crazy, and they look like the surface of the moon.

The only exception is the few large soft steel discs that were formally some kind of farm equipment. They dimple like crazy, and they look like the surface of the momoon.
I shoot at a certain range once a year that has some 1.5-2" thick soft iron plates at 200 yards. Some of the craters are about .5" deep or better. Kind of scary to think where all that lead goes on impact.