Hammer Bullets in ML

QuietTexan

Trying to "follow all the rules" on the first attempt - 300gn .458 Shock Hammers in MMP 50x458 sabots.

I have five other sabots and four other bullets to try to see if something can be made to work, and I have ideas on engraving the bullets to try to hold into the sabots better, but out of the gate I'm going to be unimaginative and try to keep my face un-rearranged by an accident. 😂 I have a stack of Cutting Edge bullets to try also.

IMG_0025.jpg

All failures resulting from this are my own, don't try to steal my credit and blame Steve when this doesn't work out 😋

I tried this endeavor 2 years ago and failed. Was trying to go the sabotless route though. I tried swagging down the .458 and then the .452. The copper was just a hair too hard to do that. I even threw one inside my salt bath annealer to heat it up to see if that softened it and nope. Was going to switch ML and is my 50 with sabot but didn't want to take the scope off so I swapped over to a Barnes. Good luck and let us know!

Trying to "follow all the rules" on the first attempt - 300gn .458 Shock Hammers in MMP 50x458 sabots.

I have five other sabots and four other bullets to try to see if something can be made to work, and I have ideas on engraving the bullets to try to hold into the sabots better, but out of the gate I'm going to be unimaginative and try to keep my face un-rearranged by an accident. 😂 I have a stack of Cutting Edge bullets to try also.

View attachment 489270

All failures resulting from this are my own, don't try to steal my credit and blame Steve when this doesn't work out 😋
Any range results yet?

I picked up a Traditions Strikefire inline in 45 caliber.
Thought about using 40cal Hammers or CEB.

Soft brass, or copper without a sabot, would still be a PITA to load!
Copper would be the easier of the two to get the rifling to engrave.
Not quite sure I fully understand the above ?

A properly sized bullet should not be a PITA to load. An improperly sized bullet could.
"Rifling to engrave"? Obturation takes place upon ignition.