Hammer bullets barrel life

That's a shame that

a little defensive are we? Maybe you should look in the mirror I'm having a normal conversation and you're trying to make it seem that it's something it's not. Maybe you should notice that I haven't said anything negative about hammer bullets. I simply questioning a huge claim about kills. I've been all over this forum reading up on hammer and have seen multiple claims from him. There's nothing wrong with asking questions especially if you don't see any supporting evidence. There's nothing wrong with that. I've never seen a legitimate guy get butt hurt for people asking questions. Maybe you might consider you're over reacting and seeing stuff that isn't there. Again I haven't said a single thing negative about hammer bullets nor did I say that you don't believe in research. I simply told you how I personally do things and why.
He's not playing defense, I just be blunt, when a new member shows up with no new member introduction and then comes on as hard as you are it screams duplicate account or or you have an agenda

He's not playing defense, I just be blunt, when a new member shows up with no new member introduction and then comes on as hard as you are it screams duplicate account or or you have an agenda
You sound like a broken record do you accuse everyone of having a agenda and they have been here before? Please show me where it states that a new member has to give a introduction and isn't allowed to ask questions. I only have one account this one and have never been a member before. I have noticed from reading the hammer stuff here that you have a bad habit of accusing people of stuff with no valid reason and harassing anyone who doesn't suck up to hammer bullets. It makes me wonder why you're so defensive and accuse people of stuff with no actual basis except you don't like what they say or their questions. I'm starting to understand comments I've seen in here about you guys being hammer fan boys and trying to bully people who question hammer or anyone associated with hammer. You keep making baseless accusations bud and I'll get back to asking valid questions.

I responded to the original OP with personal results without reading through the thread. After doing so, it does have the feel of a bait and switch. I hope this isn't the case because out of all the places to get and share great information from great people this one has been the best.

I responded to the original OP with personal results without reading through the thread. After doing so, it does have the feel of a bait and switch. I hope this isn't the case because out of all the places to get and share great information from great people this one has been the best.
I'm asking questions because I'm legitimate curious. But apparently if some people don't like your questions they harass and accuse you of stuff you have never done. Never seen anything like this in any other forums or pages. That's saying something given how the internet is especially Facebook etc. I have gotten some good information here from some people though.

Off the original topic, but I will say this. We are planning to make a trip to Ausie and hunt with @fordy next July. We are in the process of stockpiling thousands of bullets there so that we can continuously re-load ammo during the trip. Wallaby are the critters that they will shoot hundreds in a sitting. Shooting wallaby there is like shooting gophers or prairie dogs here. Only they are 25 lbs or so. Shooting hundreds of horses and donkeys in a day is not uncommon. One of the places that we will be going to requires us to shoot every water buffalo that we see. If the land owner does not cull enough of them then the government will cull them for him and charge him per animal culled. Not sure if we will get to go to the area where there is camels. There is a bounty on them, and shooting a hundred per day is to be expected. I am told that we will stop shooting when we simply can't do it anymore.

As far as barrel wear goes, it is very tough to figure out. I do not believe vel plays a role in wear. Pick a cartridge, run it with heavy bullets going slow at x pressure and run it at the same x pressure with heavy bullets at much higher vel. If there is a difference in barrel wear it will be negligible. Greatly reduce the engraving pressure and the amount of bullet making contact with the bore, like we have with Hammer Bullets, and I think there is an argument that it will increase barrel life. Still very hard to prove, thus I don't push the theory.

For someone to say that they do not want to try Hammer Bullets because someone was too abrasive for their liking, is odd. Seems a bit like a set up. Hopefully I am wrong.

Smaller the bore,the slower the powder on the burnrate scale and the more powder you pack in the case,the shorter the barrel life,

That doesn't make sense to me. All else being equal we achieve higher velocities with slower powders but with less heat and pressure because of the slower rate of burn compared to the fast-burning powders producing similar velocities. At least that's what I've been taught and seen proven out over the last fifty years or so.

It would really help if they included some apples-to-apples comparisons with similar weight, same maker bullets at the same velocities.

Off the original topic, but I will say this. We are planning to make a trip to Ausie and hunt with @fordy next July. We are in the process of stockpiling thousands of bullets there so that we can continuously re-load ammo during the trip. Wallaby are the critters that they will shoot hundreds in a sitting. Shooting wallaby there is like shooting gophers or prairie dogs here. Only they are 25 lbs or so. Shooting hundreds of horses and donkeys in a day is not uncommon. One of the places that we will be going to requires us to shoot every water buffalo that we see. If the land owner does not cull enough of them then the government will cull them for him and charge him per animal culled. Not sure if we will get to go to the area where there is camels. There is a bounty on them, and shooting a hundred per day is to be expected. I am told that we will stop shooting when we simply can't do it anymore.

As far as barrel wear goes, it is very tough to figure out. I do not believe vel plays a role in wear. Pick a cartridge, run it with heavy bullets going slow at x pressure and run it at the same x pressure with heavy bullets at much higher vel. If there is a difference in barrel wear it will be negligible. Greatly reduce the engraving pressure and the amount of bullet making contact with the bore, like we have with Hammer Bullets, and I think there is an argument that it will increase barrel life. Still very hard to prove, thus I don't push the theory.

For someone to say that they do not want to try Hammer Bullets because someone was too abrasive for their liking, is odd. Seems a bit like a set up. Hopefully I am wrong.

Copper is copper whether it's a jacket or a mono-metal bullet, it's just not an abrasive metal running against steel as it's much softer so again that would not make sense.

I'm asking questions because I'm legitimate curious. But apparently if some people don't like your questions they harass and accuse you of stuff you have never done. Never seen anything like this in any other forums or pages. That's saying something given how the internet is especially Facebook etc. I have gotten some good information here from some people though.
Understood and at times words on a screen don't come across as they are meant. I load and shoot more than I care to admit and have for over three decades. Several years ago, because of what I was reading here on this forum, I decided to give Hammers a try. I called Steve to inquire and ordered for several different calibers. He was very thorough and explained in detail the benefits and limits of what he and Brian created and gave starting load recommendations. I've had exceptional results and they are my go to hunting bullet. Try them for yourself and make your own conclusion. I'm not affiliated whatsoever and have no dog in the fight and would be happy to send you some of f my own to try.

I've also experienced lower barrel life with double base powders compared to single base, but I've yet to really nail it down to a quantifiable amount. There are always going to be trade offs and if what you're gaining in the trade is worth it, it's worth it.

I agree barrels are expendable, but they're pretty much the highest upfront cost expendable, so it's not fun when the time comes. Prolonging that is definitely desirable if can be done without sacrificing the performance you're after.

If you're truly not a fan of changing barrels often, using the most efficient cartridge and bullet combo is the best approach. I'd think the 308win is a classic example. You can get upwards of 8000 rounds through a 308win barrel before it's shot out. For the example the OP gave, saying he shoots 500 rounds a year, well that's up to 16 years with a 308win barrel. A large magnum with a small bore is much less efficient and will burn out a barrel much faster.

Pressure, heat, and friction are the biggest factors in barrel wear. Increasing any or all of those things will increase the rate of wear and decrease the barrel life, decreasing any or all of those things will decrease the wear and increase the barrel life.

So it's fair to say increasing friction with certain bullets would play a part. Burn rates of powder, double base vs single base, amount of powder, etc would also play a part. Bore size and surface area would play a part as well. Time that the bullet is in the barrel plays a part too as it will determine how long the heat and pressure is affecting the barrel in regards to wear.

The question remains, how much does it all matter? Obviously the more dramatic any of this factors are, the worse it'll be. The .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer would be a good example of taking it all to the extreme lol.
Heat and friction increase pressure, pressure and heat feed on one another. Together they keep barrel and rifle makers in business.

Has anybody considered contacting the hammer guys?
One would assume they run their bullets through test barrels like other manufacterors do. They should be able to provide some info.

Oh, those mean tweets, let's buy 5.00 a gal for gas and 4.50 for a dozen eggs, Waa Waa!!!
I won't buy products from people I can't stand even if at times its cheaper/ better or whatever. Example:
I will be buying a tangent theta soon and will never buy from the YouTube star due to his narcissistic condescending tone throughout his posts. I will gladly pay more or find someone else. I honestly can't imagine how we ever survived without the carpenters tool bullets.

Last edited: