Hammer Bullet ? for the 250-3000

antleredacres

I've searched high and low and just can't find load data. I have a modern 250-3000 bolt rifle, Sako action/Lilja barrel. The 75gr. Hunter Hammer looks like a winner in the 250-3000. Anyone have any experience/ loads they could share. I'd love to use this rifle for this years WT hunt. Thanks in advance. Steve

I've searched high and low and just can't find load data. I have a modern 250-3000 bolt rifle, Sako action/Lilja barrel. The 75gr. Hunter Hammer looks like a winner in the 250-3000. Anyone have any experience/ loads they could share. I'd love to use this rifle for this years WT hunt. Thanks in advance. Steve
HELP - Bump

Ok, that will work. I think many of those are 14" twist. Let's look at Hodgdon data for the 75g VMAX. Use those start loads and work up from there. Hammers will show a bit less pressure than conventional lead core bullets, so the listed start loads will be nice and mild to work up from. Looks like about 3300 fps should be achievable. Not sure what powder you have to work with, Varget looks good. CFE223 looks to make great vel.

The screenshot below contains data from the Absolute Hammer database, and I see there is a couple of entries for the 1/10 twist .250 Savage, using the 90 grain AH. I myself don't have one, but using the same 90 gr. AH in a 22" .257 Roberts, H335 gave me an easy 3400+ fps. (This data just happens to fall in the same screen shot.). Anyway, with the 90 gr. Absolute Hammer load I was able to surpass my old 117 gr. load by better than 500 fps, and I can also report the terminal performance on whitetails has been "more than impressive"! Good Luck with your load development!
7CCE8632-8055-4096-88AB-CC435692D31C.png

The screenshot below contains data from the Absolute Hammer database, and I see there is a couple of entries for the 1/10 twist .250 Savage, using the 90 grain AH. I myself don't have one, but using the same 90 gr. AH in a 22" .257 Roberts, H335 gave me an easy 3400+ fps. (This data just happens to fall in the same screen shot.). Anyway, with the 90 gr. Absolute Hammer load I was able to surpass my old 117 gr. load by better than 500 fps, and I can also report the terminal performance on whitetails has been "more than impressive"! Good Luck with your load development!View attachment 404094
I did not ask about that Absolute Hammer bullet. My post was for the 75gr. HUNTER HAMMER.

Ok, that will work. I think many of those are 14" twist. Let's look at Hodgdon data for the 75g VMAX. Use those start loads and work up from there. Hammers will show a bit less pressure than conventional lead core bullets, so the listed start loads will be nice and mild to work up from. Looks like about 3300 fps should be achievable. Not sure what powder you have to work with, Varget looks good. CFE223 looks to make great vel.

Thank you Steve. I have both powders and will give them a try.