H4831 for 7MM-08 Youth Load ??

DanMan

I have been using the factory reduced recoil ammo in my kids youth model 7MM-08 but they shoot terrible for accuracy. Was thinking of loading my own and try to improve things but need to keep recoil as light as possible.
On hand I have some 120 gr Nosler BT Hunting and an unopened can of H4831SC. Do you think this powder is too slow for this load or is it worth giving it a try???? Thanks for your input.

I've been thinking about the same thing , only with 139 grain bullets . using quickload to check free recoil the H4895 reduces recoil very little . it takes it from around 14 ft lbs to around 12 ft lbs , which I think is still a little much for a new young shooter . I think I'm going to try using AA 5744 powder . I might be able to get the recoil in the 8 ft lbs area and still have a 100 - 150 yard hunting rifle . Jim

sorry for the confusion guys . I'm glad I spoke up on this ,and you guys questioned me . I was wrong on the H4895 reduced recoil amounts . I must have plugged something wrong into quickload when I was thinking about this project . I'll probably just use the H4895 powder myself , when the time comes .

here is a link to the hodgdon reduced loads .
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf
it shows a 120 gr hornady pistol bullet with 35.6 grain of H4895 . when I quickload it using a 7lbs total weight rifle it has 8.78 ft lbs recoil . the chart says you can go 10% lower than this amount so 32.0 grains would be the minimum . this would give 7.14 recoil .

Edd , I'm not sure where you got 26 grains at, but it would have 4.8 ft lbs recoil . this would be a very mild mannered load .

40.5 of varget with a 140 balistic tip has 13.17 recoil .

Edd , I'm not sure where you got 26 grains at, but it would have 4.8 ft lbs recoil . this would be a very mild mannered load .
The link you provided explains how I got it. It's the 60% rule. Also, the 10% reduction applies to the 60% rule, not those sample loads.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm sure that you have saved me considerable time
and a waste of powder / bullets / and primers trying to use the wrong powder.:)
I've never tried to build a reduced load before. What kind of accuracy is it reasonable to expect ? Thanks

I've done a couple of reduced loads for new shooters . one was for a 243 . his dad said they shot well , I never shot them so I don't know . last year I did some for a young girl with a 308 , I was very pleasantly surprised . they gave me the rifle and I did the load work . on the 308 reduced loads seating depth was very important . I used a 125 gr ballistic tip and26.0 grains of IMR4198 powder and a cci200 primer . all I played with was seating depth . Jim
Alaynassavage001.jpg

Alaynassavage002.jpg

Alaynassavage003.jpg

Alaynassavage004.jpg

her targets at 50
Alaynassavage003-1.jpg

at 100 , I ,made a scope adjustment between groups .
Alaynassavage004-1.jpg

35 gr of H4895 with a 140 gr Ballistic Tip is a serious deer getter. My neice has used it to great effect. My daughter uses a .260 with 32 gr of H4895 under a 120 Ballistic Tip. These loads run around 2400 fps and work well out to 200 yards.

Dan

Thanks for posting the pics. That's about half the group size that we're getting
now with our factory managed recoil load that uses 150 gr corelocts. I appreciate the tips.

Danman, I thought you might be interested . I got the 7mm-08 to the range yesterday . I loaded a 120 ballistic tip , with 39.0 grains of H4895 , CCI200 primer . this is a new rifle , bought it Friday, so I was doing the shoot one and clean routine . the two upper holes that are taped over are the last two single shots . then I let Denise shoot the first three shot group . these are the three lower taped over holes . I shot the next three shot group , these are the holes not taped . it's about half an inch at 100 yards . this rifle / scope total weight is at 7lbs 9 oz on my trigger scale . according to quickload it produces 10.25 ft lbs recoil and the velocity is 2716 from a 22" bbl . I did not confirm the velocity over my chrony , I'm running out of time . Denise said the recoil was not an issue . I'm going hunting , be back in a week . Jim

Denisesbrowning7mm-08oct27.jpg

I loaded some .308 with 110gr VMax and a reduced load of H4895. Never shot game with it but the accuracy was acceptable out to 200 and the recoil was like a cream puff. Can't imagine the VMax at that velocity would not open up and work well on deer sized game. Perfect for my kids once they start hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.