H-S Precision Stock Problem Again!!!

gunaddict

I ordered a HS stock (PSS059) in January for my 375 Ultramag. When I received the stock, I put the barreled action into it and to my surprise it looked a little high. Had my friend bed it and it looked terrible. There was a 90 thousandths gap at the end of the forearm between the stock and bottom of the barrel. I called HS and they said the warranty was void, because it was bedded. I told them that I had 9 of there camo stocks and the others were fine. I sent them pictures of my others stocks. They told me to send the stock in and they would replace it, maybe.
Well they replaced the stock at no charge. Awesome. I got the new stock and decided to wait for my gunsmith to bed it. Today I took it to have it bedded, and the stock was the same way , as the last one. It had at least 80 thousandths gap. HS says there should only be 15 thousandths gap between the stock (top of barrel channel and the bottom of barrel). This is measured at the end of the forearm. I bought the same stock, off 24 Hr Campfire a while back and put the barreled action in it and there is no problem. Fits like my other ones. So I am having my gunsmith bed this one with the 375 ultra.
My gunsmith says it looks like the rear tang is lower than the bedding block. So when you tighten down the screws it raises the barrel away from the stock forearm. Barrel channel looks staight when gun is in the stock. HS said they put a barrel action in it, before they shipped it to me. I have put 2 other barreled actions into the new stock, and they have the same big gap. I am sending this stock back. I really like there stocks and have no complaints with the other ones I have.
Is it a bedding block issue? Rear tang issue? Quality Control Problem? Anyone else having this problem?

I ordered a HS stock (PSS059) in January for my 375 Ultramag. When I received the stock, I put the barreled action into it and to my surprise it looked a little high. Had my friend bed it and it looked terrible. There was a 90 thousandths gap at the end of the forearm between the stock and bottom of the barrel. I called HS and they said the warranty was void, because it was bedded. I told them that I had 9 of there camo stocks and the others were fine. I sent them pictures of my others stocks. They told me to send the stock in and they would replace it, maybe.
Well they replaced the stock at no charge. Awesome. I got the new stock and decided to wait for my gunsmith to bed it. Today I took it to have it bedded, and the stock was the same way , as the last one. It had at least 80 thousandths gap. HS says there should only be 15 thousandths gap between the stock (top of barrel channel and the bottom of barrel). This is measured at the end of the forearm. I bought the same stock, off 24 Hr Campfire a while back and put the barreled action in it and there is no problem. Fits like my other ones. So I am having my gunsmith bed this one with the 375 ultra.
My gunsmith says it looks like the rear tang is lower than the bedding block. So when you tighten down the screws it raises the barrel away from the stock forearm. Barrel channel looks staight when gun is in the stock. HS said they put a barrel action in it, before they shipped it to me. I have put 2 other barreled actions into the new stock, and they have the same big gap. I am sending this stock back. I really like there stocks and have no complaints with the other ones I have.
Is it a bedding block issue? Rear tang issue? Quality Control Problem? Anyone else having this problem?

It is not unusual for the inserts to be installed wrong on any stock with the bedding block.

I have had several different brand of stocks where this was a problem. And just like a wood
stock sometimes you have to make adjustments with the bedding.

The action and barrel "Must" be fitted to the stock before the bedding can be done. eather by removing material or shimming some areas (Or both). Once this is done it will bed properly.

Just because a stock has a bedding block/ insert does not meen it will fit properly and does
not need bedding.

I bed every action and make sure that the pillars are in full contact with the action and the floor
metal . Actually the insert is a good foundation for bedding if it is clean and free of oil.

I have even seen inserts that were warped and the action would rock front to back and had to
drill out the rear pillar and install a new one that leveled the action and barrel before bedding.

There are a lot of little tricks to doing a good bedding job but they can be learned and preparation
prior to bedding is one of the most important things.

It does sound like a quality control problem but not one that cant be fixed.

J E CUSTOM

It is a factory barrel action. No after market recoil lug.
JE, My gunsmith said he would have to remove to much material to properly bed the stock. It then would have to be repainted, since it is camo painted. Since it was new I decided to send it back, if they will accept it. If they don't accept it , I will talk to you about you fixing it.

Yes, I put 2 other ultramag barreled actions in the stock, they also had the big gap at the forearm. I stated that in the orginal post.
HS told me they checked the stock before they shipped it to me. And I was told the stock was fine. Well it's not! :rolleyes:

I believe I would send the stock and action to H-S and have them bed the rifle. That way, you get them to do it right and ensure it fits properly. At least it would eliminate the back and forth, he said, he said stuff.

I called HS today and they want me to send a barreled action with the stock to them. They said they have had no problems with anyother stocks so far. I'm going to send a 7ultra barreled action with the stock.
I told them I have put a 7mm Ultra, 300 Ultra, and 7mag barreled action in this stock, and they all had the same 80 thousandths plus, gap under the bottom of barrel to the top of the barrel channel. Measured at the forearm. The 375 ultramag fits the same as described aboved. Out of 9 HS stocks this is the only one that does this. I told them that I am not a gunsmith, but when the older stocks are fine, it's not impossible to see the huge difference in the gap between barrel and stock. He told me that they do not put a Remington barreled action in the stock to check the stock. They put a Quality Control Tool and Action to check tolerences.
This stock in Not bedded that I am sending back.
I just letting you guys know how things are moving along.
HS is beig very nice and professional. I do appreciate their help in solving this problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.