H&R's for long range shooting.. Anyone ever try it ?

tuxdad

I've got a couple of H&R's that are mighty fine shooters and I've stretched them out to 300 yds on occasion.. Has anyone shot any farther with these rifles ??

Just curious...

I have a couple H&R and NE handy rifles the thing with them is some shoot and some just don't it's hit and miss with them. the other problem is with most of them the barrel twist are not fast enough to shoot the heavier bullets that most shoot. i tried shooting 69gr smk out of my NE 223 and they tumbled but it shoots the 45-50gr well under 1/2" @ 100 yards. If you don't mind shooting lite bullets and have one that shoots good then why not. But the wind kicks my but bad enough as it is so i need all the BC i can get.

I've been shooting a bunch of store bought ammo out a new H&R and it's been having issues with 55 grain bullets.. I finally got around to reloading for it with some lighter(45 grains) and heavier rounds and it seems to like the heavy stuff better(68 grains)..

I've found that with H&R's you have to find their "sweet spot" for using a rest.. Otherwise you'd be better off using a shotgun at long range...lol

The basic design of the H&R action is not too strong and is susceptible to eventual loosening with the heavier, or high pressure rounds. Probably OK with the smaller, or low pressure calibers. I suspect if you go too heavy with a 45-70, that barrel will eventually be wobbling on the action. We used them as kids because you could buy a "Topper" for $25. I have one tucked in the back of my safe that has come off the face and and has an eight of an inch of barrel movement. I keep it for sentimental reasons.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.