Gun works rifles

I see a custom as being an action , barrel, stock , and trigger being picked by the owner
A production gun doesn't give you a choice on barrel, trigger, action, or stock manufacturers.
A prefit barrels isn't any different than a barrel chambered and threaded by a smith, they are both the same

What are your opinions on gun works rifles. I'm looking at a 300 PRC.
I've never purchased one but I wouldn't say that I never will. I've done a ton of research on them and from what I've gathered, they produce a great product and they stand behind what they sell. I personally enjoy building my own and taking the time to do all the tedious load work up and tuning of a long range hunting rifle and have been blessed with the time to do so for many years. If things were to change, my first choice would be Gun Works.

custom is using parts everybody buys from the same suppliers and assembles the same way from the same smiths?
Custom is picking parts from vendors that are available to the public and building a rifle from them that is set up to your exact specifications. From bolt knobs to barrel and bolt fluting to metal coatings, stock colors and length of pull all the way down to picking out the chamber reamer specs and so on. There are many different choices and configurations to run. With gunwerks rifles you get what you get.

As far as "taking care of him". He bought an $11,500 rifle. Gun and scope only. It had a kahles 525 on it and he hated it immediately (less than 10 rounds through the rifle). He asked if they would take the scope back and credit it towards another scope. They simply said no. The scope yours. But if you want to buy another scope, we'll mount it for you.

That's pretty trash service to someone who just over paid by about $3k for a rifle/scope. And a returning customer at that.
In my experience with GW's, the customer does choose the scope he wants when planning the build. They do offer options. At least for myself, I'm very involved in making the decisions. If I make a choice or fail to make a choice, I will accept responsibility for that. Once it leaves their shop, there's a host of unknowables they can't control when it comes to glass. I don't know your buddy or his particular situation, so I'll withhold judgement either way on that premise. I'm sure there's a reason for the policy. But every company misfires by times and it doesn't hurt to just have that friendly conversation to try to understand their policy or maybe even talk to someone up the chain to give them a chance to reconsider.

Now when it comes to actual rifle performance, then I feel its justified to hold them to it. I actually bought my Magnus 7-LRM used from them when touring their shop. It shot great (.3 MOA) with their 180 ELD-M loads out of the fluted 24" Rock Creek barrel. However, a year or so later we started having flyers. Talked to Mike and he told me to send it in. He shot it, sent me pics, tried a bunch of stuff - the communication was great. He updated the action, still sending flyers. Called to say he's going with a new barrel and wondered if there's anything I wanted to change. I offered to pay the extra for the CF 24" option, but he says "no, it's on me". In the end he found a cracked scope base that seemed to be the culprit. But what I got in the end was an almost all-new rifle - action, barrel, self-timing break, repainted stock, new bases & rings, sighted in, validated at range, and 100 rounds of ammo at no charge to me. We cooked up some custom 180 Hybrid loads then that are running consistent .25 MOA and actually did 2) 2-shot groups at 1,002 yds at 1.5" or less.

As to the brake performance. I'm not sure what brake option he has, but the self-timing directional one on my 7-LRM does well for as small as it is. My 9-yr-old son shoots it. Certainly, recoils more than my much larger 7 Allen Mag with a T3 Terminator, but it's far from uncomfortable. Can always put something on that's more effective if he wants. 🤠

You can tell I'm biased based on my good experiences with the company. 😉 The service to back it up is worth a lot of $$$$ to me.

I'd suggest anyone with interest, to take the time to go meet the outfit, take one of their shooting courses using their builds. It'll give some perspective of who they are and what they do.

Last edited:
Custom is picking parts from vendors that are available to the public and building a rifle from them that is set up to your exact specifications. From bolt knobs to barrel and bolt fluting to metal coatings, stock colors and length of pull all the way down to picking out the chamber reamer specs and so on. There are many different choices and configurations to run. With gunwerks rifles you get what you get.
You can actually "customize" a rifle from them if you take the initiative and have that discussion. There are things you can do with them that aren't listed on the online order form... Lots of choices, but the parameters would certainly be less than going full open market for sourcing. There are advantages to this too, though.

Kelbly LA Nanook mag bolt face $1200
Bartlein CF #13 26" 1:9" 5R .308 cal $750
Manners LRH $975
TriggerTech Diamond $300
Hawkins M5 Oberndorf BDL $200
Wyatts mag box/spring/follower $80
TBAC CB $140
$3750ish in parts alone for top of the line stuff. Depending on action choice, you could add another $500 pretty easily. But this is my new build cost so far.

Gunsmithing:
Cut/chamber/time/install barrel, cut/thread/time/install brake, Cerakote as needed, bed stock, assemble rifle $1500-1800ish (need to get final price)

Let's say $5500 all in for rifle. I would call this a full top of the line custom built to my exact specs.

Add rings and scope, that could add a lot of money. Could go with the top dog TT525P and drop another $5k+ in optics/mounting system.

$10.5k all in.

Still the same price as the GW top of the line rifle alone before optics.

Here is one thing w. GW. You order a rifle with customization like stock color amd Cerakote color,they claim 150 days. Or 5 months. You order all your own parts like action, barrel, stock...you could be waiting on parts alone for 6-12 months or more before even taking them to a gunsmith. But you have more control over some of the specifocs like custom colors, recoil pad, action fitament on the stock, barrel contour and twist rate, action features, etc.

They dont hand load each gun. Simply cnc barrel and action over and over and have a recipe for that caliber. Now that being said thats why they say 1000 yards out of box which isnt far shot in today's world. Theyre gun falls apart beyond that. Not there scope or gun or rangefinder but there system does. Hand load it and its solid. But overpriced. But perfect for rich dude wanting the name and cant shoot 300 yards let alone 1000.
Rich or Poor 1000 yards is more than satisfactory for me. I wouldn't dream of taking a shot that far at an animal. Again it comes down to time and effort. If you have an infinite amount of time to dedicate to load development and practicing at 1000 yards + then thats great. I'll watch and congradulate you on a great shot. But for me I'm an 1 1/2 hours from a 1000 yard range and the last thing I want to do is spend my time looking for a wounded animal. Long range is broad statement, for some thats 300 yards for others like you thats a pitch shot. Bottom line is we both love to shoot, load and get better. Wether you start with a pile of parts or an exspensive system, at least we have a choice, God Bless Amercia.

In my experience with GW's, the customer does choose the scope he wants when planning the build. They do offer options. At least for myself, I'm very involved in making the decisions. If I make a choice or fail to make a choice, I will accept responsibility for that. Once it leaves their shop, there's a host of unknowables they can't control when it comes to glass. I don't know your buddy or his particular situation, so I'll withhold judgement either way on that premise. I'm sure there's a reason for the policy. But every company misfires by times and it doesn't hurt to just have that friendly conversation to try to understand their policy or maybe even talk to someone up the chain to give them a chance to reconsider.

Now when it comes to actual rifle performance, then I feel its justified to hold them to it. I actually bought my Magnus 7-LRM used from them when touring their shop. It shot great (.3 MOA) with their 180 ELD-M loads out of the fluted 24" Rock Creek barrel. However, a year or so later we started having flyers. Talked to Mike and he told me to send it in. He shot it, sent me pics, tried a bunch of stuff - the communication was great. He updated the action, still sending flyers. Called to say he's going with a new barrel and wondered if there's anything I wanted to change. I offered to pay the extra for the CF 24" option, but he says "no, it's on me". In the end he found a cracked scope base that seemed to be the culprit. But what I got in the end was an almost all-new rifle - action, barrel, self-timing break, repainted stock, new bases & rings, sighted in, validated at range, and 100 rounds of ammo at no charge to me. We cooked up some custom 180 Hybrid loads then that are running consistent .25 MOA and actually did 2) 2-shot groups at 1,002 yds at 1.5" or less.

As to the brake performance. I'm not sure what brake option he has, but the self-timing directional one on my 7-LRM does well for as small as it is. My 9-yr-old son shoots it. Certainly, recoils more than my much larger 7 Allen Mag with a T3 Terminator, but it's far from uncomfortable. Can always put something on that's more effective if he wants. 🤠

You can tell I'm biased based on my good experiences with the company. 😉 The service to back it up is worth a lot of $$$$ to me.

I'd suggest anyone with interest, to take the time to go meet the outfit, take one of their shooting courses using their builds. It'll give some perspective of who they are and what they do.
It definitely sounds like your bias is justified based on the great treatment!! I don't blame you one bit.

You'll typically get more money in a GW than a do-it-yourself qualilty gunsmith job overall. They represent much more than gunsmithing, and this component alone adds cost. It's surely not for everyone, but I don't go for the bashing comparisons made.
"Putting others down doesn't show your strength. It's picking others up that does." 🤠

Took a Gunwerks course/antelope hunt last year. Shot a magnus in 6.5 creedmoor. Liked it so much I bought a Nexus in 300 prc/6.5 prc. Supposed to be here Friday…. 🕺Expensive, but it's ready to go out of the box. When I think of the time and money I've spent zeroing, mounting scopes, creating ballistic solutions, and figuring out which factory ammo each rifle likes it's worth it. In fact, I spent 5 hours today swapping scopes around, bore sighting and rezeroing at the range on some rifles for my kids and a new one I just bought. It's worth it for me. Between work and kids, I want to shoot and hunt more and tinker less. If all goes as planned, will sell some things to defray the purchase price.

On top of it, after spending 4 days with the Gunwerks crew they're a great group of people bringing innovative products to market and I drank the koolaid. Glad I can afford to support them, IMO, their equipment delivers what it promises. OTOH, there are more accurate rifles than ever before and if you reload and like to tinker it's a great way to go. Proof, Alterra, Fierce and more have good reps too.

Gunwerks is a great option if it's worth it to you.
Would love to hear your report on the Nexus once you get it! I've been researching how to creat the same with a Tikka action and WTO switch lug.

There's nothing wrong with buying gunwerks anything they have excellent customer service maybe best in business. That being said you can build similar quality or better gun for less. And to further my point you can do it a lot less if your not shooting 1000 yards

If you buy a factory rifle then order the scope and rings and base you wont to use drop in a new triger you ordered online and added a suppressor or brake. you have a custom rifle built to your specs. with out all the hype.