Gun Reviews

liltank

My wife and I went to the Eastern Sportsman Show in Harrisburg. I had a chance to look at some new products. The ones that stand out in my mind the most are the following:

Just thought I would give ya my thoughts on the Mossberg Tactical Lever Action O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining . Frankly, it sucks. The function of the action is nice, but handling is cheesy at best. The ergonomics on the grip area and lever are slick and clumsy. It's a cool concept and thought I might like it, but after handling one, I have no desire to own one. Trigger pull was very heavy. The forearm is uncomfortable at best. I guess if you are use to all the rails, then it would be okay. For this, the A2 forearm would be a better option with an add on rail. They really need to rethink the lever handle area and how better to give the shooter a better grip.

On the up side, I did get to handle the new Mossberg MVP in .223 w/ 10 shot AR mag O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining . Stock ergonomics are smooth and comfortable. Palm swell is pleasant and the bolt works like a dream. The trigger I pulled on the sample model had to be in the 1.5-2# range. It was crisp and broke like glass. The clip release was little awkward, but friendly to use. I think it is a rifle that any plinker or short range varminter needs to have in their gun cabinet. I plan to get one ASAP. I can see good things to come with this model if they add the Grendal, 7.62x39, and any other cartridge that fits the AR15 mag. I really want to see this thing develop into the AR10 mags. This rifle in medium cartridges would just plain rock. On the down side, I could see with the way the bolt is designed, put into a dirty environment such as sand and mud could create feeding problems. But that has yet to be seen. I think it is a solid concept and they should definitely stick with this idea.

The new T/C Dimension: http://dimensionrifle.tcarms.com/#{%22p%22:%220%22}
Despite its ugly appearance (makes Savage look like Prom Queens!
fing02.gif
), it is a sound product from what I've seen. I didn't get to handle it, but after watching the how it works, it is definitely a step in the right direction in modularity. Headspacing isn't an issue in its design due to high tolerance in production. The barrels are keyed so that they go in and out at the same spot every time. They come with their own tools and markings on all the parts to match appropriate calibers you are using (components marked with A, B, C). The 1913 style base is made out of magnesium. The action is made of aluminum. Due the design of the breach and bolt, absolutely no pressure is placed on the action. Down side to this is the tools. They are very specific to this weapons system. They have predetermined torque settings in the handles of the tools so that everything is tightened down correctly. Should these tools break or get lost, its probably going to be expensive to replace. They are made of polymer w/ steel insert tools. Over all it is an item that is going to take off if they get good results from those who buy one.

I also got to see the Hawke Sidewinder. For the money I guess it would be okay. What I like is the basic design and the glass. What I didn't like is everything else. The turrets are mushy when turning them. You have to use a torx wrench or driver to loosen and tighten the turret knobs. Once you get a zero you have to decide to leave the screws loose so you can twiddle or tighten them down and then it is useless. The lighting (green & red) worked good, but made the reticule blurry. At least it did for me. Would I buy one, maybe for an air rifle or 22LR.

I did get to finally handle a BOTW Rifle and Huskamaw scope. The trigger and ergonomics of the rifle are fantastic. Trigger broke clean at 2.5# and the rifle is very well balanced. The particular model I handled had the long range stock and chambered for 7mm Mag. Wish I could have had a chance to take it out and shoot it. As for the scope, it was very nice. It had good positive clicks that are very clean. Audible is nice, but not obnoxious. I like the reticule and and its function. I was told if you know the distance, then you can actually get a good idea what the size of the animal is using the reticule. It had some pretty good ideas. With a little work a guy could do well with its abilities. Initially I find it a little confusing, but..... I can be a little slow sometimes.:D It is a SFP scope, so the reticule will change with power adjustment. However it is designed this way. You are to use the 10x, 15x, and 20x for shooting and measuring.

Handled the Divari Zeiss today in the Rapid Z reticule. It was a nice scope. It is a little busy for me, but guess I could learn it if I wanted too. What I didn't like is the turret function. You have to lift the turret every time you want to rotate to adjust. I see the benefits of the design, but find it to be a bit of a nuisance for me. When I am shooting at varmints, I want to be able to grab hold of the knob and start cranking w/o having to worry about lifting the knob up. But if you know the reticule and it's drops, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last but not least is the Savages. :D:D:D:D:D What more can I say. Wish I could have bought the whole lot. Enough said! I really like the feel and weight of the Light weight hunter. They had the 110BA and FCP. I was drooling. To bad the wife was a long. I might have to sleep on the couch tonight had she not been along.

Any way, all looks good for future gun designs. It was nice they had an exhibit area for gun makers. In years past it was very difficult to find the makers because they were hidden though out the show. There were still some here and there, but nice to have most of them together.

Tank

Last edited:
Well written review Tank.
Id hit Len up for an LRH hat. Last I saw (last year I think) if you did a "technical review" & posted your findings, the big guy would send you an LRH hat.
Worth a shot. I keep drooling in the LRH store but half the pics don't show up on my phone. One of these days, ill talk my wife into letting me look on her computer so I cam see the shirts. Been on a "sponsor" kick lately & I'm always sportin one of two Leupold hats, & Nosler, Cabellas, or, Sportsmans T-shirts. I need some LRH shirts so folks don't think I only own 2-3 shirts:D
Shhhhhhh don't tell mamma, but if I ever order those shirts, I'm gonna sneak that double strap sling in on the order too.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Good info.

Mossberg Tactical Lever Action O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining . Frankly, it sucks.

I'm sure that someone will find a need for that gun but personally I have to agree with you. :) It kind of lost its ability to handle well when they changed to the plastic adjustable butt stock and the rails. Wow who would of thought we needed rails on a lever gun.

Mossberg Tactical Lever Action O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining . Frankly, it sucks.

I'm sure that someone will find a need for that gun but personally I have to agree with you. :) It kind of lost its ability to handle well when they changed to the plastic adjustable butt stock and the rails. Wow who would of thought we needed rails on a lever gun.

I can see where they are going with the concept. It's a sound concept too. It just needs some refinement. If you think about the heritage of the lever, it is essentially the first repeating tactical rifle. It's roots started as a military rifle with a high capacity magazine. So there is some logic to the design, but they can do better. I hope they are able to make some useful changes that will put this thing on the map. Maybe switching up to a mag pul, or adding a little more contour to the pistol grip. We shall see how this thing develops.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.