Gun Cleaning Question

ANDREW RICKETTS

I currently have 3 browning X-Bolts, all of which I cleaned using a basic hoppes cleaning kit. After I completed the cleaning I went online, and discovered all of the hate about the 3 piece rods, and not using a bore guide. My questions is, 2 of my guns are wooden stock, 1 is synthetic. I have only cleaned these guns once, will the cleaning solvent ruin anything on the rifle. (Please note * I do not plan on cleaning these rifles again without a one piece nylon rod, or without a bore guide.)

Thanks for any help!

Okanogan

I use a bore guide and high quality single piece rod for cleaning, but even then I drape a cloth over the stock to prevent inadvertent spills from ending up on the stock. (not that I think it would be a problem if I just wiped it up right afterward) If you are getting a new rod, I would suggest looking for a copper eliminator type as it will help in eliminating false positives when cleaning with copper solvent.

I limit my use of hoppes and three piece cleaning rods to my shotguns. Everyone one of my centerfire rifles has a bore guide to match.

25WSM

Hoppes will only clean the powder residue out of your rifle barrel. The problem is not powder residue it's copper and carbon. Especially when breaking in a new barrel. There are 4 or 5 companies making great cleaners and one I recommend to clients is BoreTech. I recommend it because it works well and is totally safe in your house or on the kitchen table and your wife won't hate you because of the smell. I still open a jar of Hoppes and take a sniff to bring back childhood memories.
Ton of threads on how to properly clean your rifle on this site.
Shep

misterc01

I use a Lucas bore guide and Dewey rod on my centerfires. There is actually a bore-guide-like attachment for cleaning Ruger 10/22's that fits over the crown-end that centers it up, and magazine-attached box to catch any patches, etc that pushes thru.
I use the .22's for refining my shooting basics (trigger squeeze, breathe control etc). Cheaper - 100 rounds for $10 vs 100 rounds for $100.

KyCarl

I use 7.62 solvent and I'm extra careful where it goes! I use bore guides and drip my solvent on with a plastic pipette. IF I brush Nylon only. Way too much invested to mess up!

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.