bore cleaning question

gohring3006

I was at my local gun store picked up a 30 cal. Bore kit it has a bronze brush,cotton swap and a tornado brush aka. Gunsmith brush its the first time I had seen one for a rifle my question is this tornado brush safe for rifle bores is it effective or is it something to throw away also what are you guys using to get the copper out I'm paranoid about copper in my bore I currently use hoppes benchrest and mpro 7 wondering if there is any cleaner that's quicker. I just don't know about that tornado brush though

...is this tornado brush safe for rifle bores is it effective or is it something to throw away...
I saw some that were stainless steel... I wouldn't use it.

...what are you guys using to get the copper out I'm paranoid about copper in my bore I currently use hoppes benchrest and mpro 7 wondering if there is any cleaner that's quicker.
Sweets 7.62 and Shooters Choice Copper Remover works great for me... but I still use Hoppe's 9 for powder fouling and light copper fouling.

Try Wipe-out and you won't look back. Does everything the harsh solvents do with out any brushing. I have used various ammonia based solvents and this stuff has outperformed all of them IMO. Try it…you won't be disappointed.

Gohring, try Wipe-Out foam. Follow the directions and patch it out when ready, no copper.

thanks guys I like the idea of no scrubbing with brushes I think its time consuming and harmful I wouldn't go shoot sometimes just because I didn't want to clean my rifle with that **** brush

I don't even use a cleaning rod anymore. :D Use the Wipe out foam and a piece of weed eater line. Take a piece of weed eater line about a foot or so longer than your barrel. Sharpen one end and take a flame and melt the other end and push it up against a glass or coffee mug and form a button. You can sand the edges of the button to make it the size of your bore. Stick the sharp end through a patch and push it down to the button. Stick the sharpened end into the chamber end and push it through and out the muzzle then grab it and pull the patch through. You can clean anything from the chamber end and not do any harm to your crown. I always carry one of these weed eater cleaning rigs with a few patches and a little bottle of bore cleaner in a zip lock bag in my hunting pack just in case if I need to clean the bore like from a trip and fall and sticking the muzzle into the ground that I know has never happened to anybody. :rolleyes:

NEVER EVER USE A STEEL BRUSH IN A BORE!!!!

NEVER USE A BRONZE BRUSH WITH ANYTHING THAT IS A COPPER SOLVENT BECAUSE IT WILL EAT THE BRUSH AND LEAVE DEPOSITS IN THE BORE!!!

I don't even use a cleaning rod anymore. :D Use the Wipe out foam and a piece of weed eater line. Take a piece of weed eater line about a foot or so longer than your barrel. Sharpen one end and take a flame and melt the other end and push it up against a glass or coffee mug and form a button. You can sand the edges of the button to make it the size of your bore. Stick the sharp end through a patch and push it down to the button. Stick the sharpened end into the chamber end and push it through and out the muzzle then grab it and pull the patch through. You can clean anything from the chamber end and not do any harm to your crown. I always carry one of these weed eater cleaning rigs with a few patches and a little bottle of bore cleaner in a zip lock bag in my hunting pack just in case if I need to clean the bore like from a trip and fall and sticking the muzzle into the ground that I know has never happened to anybody. :rolleyes:

NEVER EVER USE A STEEL BRUSH IN A BORE!!!!

NEVER USE A BRONZE BRUSH WITH ANYTHING THAT IS A COPPER SOLVENT BECAUSE IT WILL EAT THE BRUSH AND LEAVE DEPOSITS IN THE BORE!!!
thanks for the advice I went to the Otis cleaning cable but I couldn't get all the copper with the chemicals I was using so I would break out the rod with a brush and freakin rod was so flimsy that it would hit the bore every time it flexed so I want a copper eliminating solvent that doesn't require scrubbing

I had just started using the mpro7 copper solvent it is way better than any thing so far but it still left copper in the bore not much though I wonder if I'm trying to hard its my lands that show the copper the grooves are clean wonder if I can get off the lands completely its very small amount you can barley see it at the muzzle maybe I'm trying to hard

used hopps copper solvent for years but i switched to gunslick pro bore foam. stuff works for me. if bore heavy with copper, i let it set over night. sprays like shaving cream then turns into liquid.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.