Gun Cleaning Question

Why would you use something that smells like high powered cleaning solvent when you can use odorless BTE? Does as good of job, no stink. I know it does, I borescope my tubes before and after. Nuth'in 'sweet' about Sweets 7.62 solvent.
Going to have to try the bte. Been running acelerator, wipe out overnight follow up with sweets. I'll try the BTE next 50 round cleaning.

As for the bore guide and single rod, it's the best way to go.
But I pull the stock off and clean everything and inspect every time I clean a rifle. Just what my dad always did.

Shoot it until the tube is so fouled it won't shoot for beans and screw on a new barrel. Problem solved. Scrap the old barrel, they are cheap enough.

I'm done with yet another idiotic thread. Lots of them on here lately. Have fun, I'm going hunting.

Did you every stop to think that maybe you are one of the people making these threads idiotic as you said?
The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question, and you posted 4 times
1 time to agree with someone.
2 times to argue with other posters over something not related to the OP's question
Then 1 post to make a stupid comment, rip on this site, and the OP!!

I currently have 3 browning X-Bolts, all of which I cleaned using a basic hoppes cleaning kit. After I completed the cleaning I went online, and discovered all of the hate about the 3 piece rods, and not using a bore guide. My questions is, 2 of my guns are wooden stock, 1 is synthetic. I have only cleaned these guns once, will the cleaning solvent ruin anything on the rifle. (Please note * I do not plan on cleaning these rifles again without a one piece nylon rod, or without a bore guide.)

Thanks for any help!
Some solvents can make a mess of the finish on synthetic stocks; that would show up almost immediately. Read the directions. At any rate, you should be careful with the use of solvents.

I use sweets and 50bmg/copper killer and they are extremely agressive. I have never had the finish on my stocks be affected in any way. I would be cautious on an oil finished wood stock. Also to the point of bore guides is they keep the slop out of your trigger. As a gunsmith I clean a ton of triggers from all that gunk that gets in there. Most cleaning agents turn to a sticky mess when they dry. Most of the time they are so bummed up that the trigger return spring can't set the trigger back and the rifle won't cock. And it gets worse when it gets cold right when hunting starts. Don't buy a cheap universal one. Get one that is chamber specific with the going up front these go a long way to keeping that action and trigger clean.
Shep

I recently discovered sharp shoot wipe out and I haven't used anything else since. Bore guide and a few patches and I'm set

Wipe out works great also especially if you put accelerator in first. It's my go to overnight soak. I love how it foams up when you scrub with a brush. And it's safe to leave in the barrel for extended time. Wipe out carbon remover is really good too. But on match day when I need to clean fast it's sweets jb and croil mix. It really gets it all out.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.