Gun Cleaning Question

ANDREW RICKETTS

I currently have 3 browning X-Bolts, all of which I cleaned using a basic hoppes cleaning kit. After I completed the cleaning I went online, and discovered all of the hate about the 3 piece rods, and not using a bore guide. My questions is, 2 of my guns are wooden stock, 1 is synthetic. I have only cleaned these guns once, will the cleaning solvent ruin anything on the rifle. (Please note * I do not plan on cleaning these rifles again without a one piece nylon rod, or without a bore guide.)

Thanks for any help!

I use a bore guide and high quality single piece rod for cleaning, but even then I drape a cloth over the stock to prevent inadvertent spills from ending up on the stock. (not that I think it would be a problem if I just wiped it up right afterward) If you are getting a new rod, I would suggest looking for a copper eliminator type as it will help in eliminating false positives when cleaning with copper solvent.

I limit my use of hoppes and three piece cleaning rods to my shotguns. Everyone one of my centerfire rifles has a bore guide to match.

Hoppes will only clean the powder residue out of your rifle barrel. The problem is not powder residue it's copper and carbon. Especially when breaking in a new barrel. There are 4 or 5 companies making great cleaners and one I recommend to clients is BoreTech. I recommend it because it works well and is totally safe in your house or on the kitchen table and your wife won't hate you because of the smell. I still open a jar of Hoppes and take a sniff to bring back childhood memories.
Ton of threads on how to properly clean your rifle on this site.
Shep

I use a Lucas bore guide and Dewey rod on my centerfires. There is actually a bore-guide-like attachment for cleaning Ruger 10/22's that fits over the crown-end that centers it up, and magazine-attached box to catch any patches, etc that pushes thru.
I use the .22's for refining my shooting basics (trigger squeeze, breathe control etc). Cheaper - 100 rounds for $10 vs 100 rounds for $100.

I use 7.62 solvent and I'm extra careful where it goes! I use bore guides and drip my solvent on with a plastic pipette. IF I brush Nylon only. Way too much invested to mess up!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.