Group effort elk rifle

backyardsniper

Here is what we got. I'm in on the 2014 group elk hunt at non-typical outfitters here on LRH. I have a custom 300 win mag built on a stiller action with a broughton 5c 27" 1/10. I had planned on hunting with it, and still plan on taking it with me. It's a 12lb rifle with scope in a manners mcs-t, jewel trigger, ptg bottom metal using AICS mags. She is a tack driver. I just had this itch to get a bigger gun. It was intensified when I spoke to Brenda at non-typical and told her I would be shooting a 300 win mag and she said "yeah that will do, I mean, I shoot a 300 ultra mag but the 300 win mag should be fine" ha ha. I have owned two lapua's before and I just really like them. Well I happened into a trade the other day and this is what I got. G.A. Precision 338 lapua built on a rem 700 action, 25.5 in bartlein #7 contour deep fluted barrel, Huber concepts 2 stage trigger, TBAC 338 BA brake. The gun was in a CIP length AICS chassis with viper skins. I knew that wouldn't work, those chassis are nice but for hunting way to heavy. I made a trade with my gunsmith for the AICS chassis he is going to supply a MANNERS T5 and I'm gonna pay for the bedding.. I'm thinking plain old bdl bottom metal, no DBM as much as I love them I'm trying to keep this as stream lined and as "reasonably light" as possible meaning around 11.5-12lb scope and all. I had considered having him punch it to 338 lapua improved to help make up a little velocity for the shorter barrel, and run it as a single shot so I can stretch the bullets out. What would you do? Think you got a 338 lapua barreled action where would you go from there to build your elk hammer?

Sounds like you have quite the project underway.

I could be wrong but I don't think you're going to see much if any gain going AI with it because your problem now is not having enough barrel length to burn the powder it already holds and the end result of more is likely to end up with the bulk of the additional just producing more muzzle blast and recoil and a heck of a lot of muzzle flash in low light situations.

I'd probably shoot it as is and just start socking away the cash now till I had enough saved to go back with a 20-30in barrel in the future.

As it is, I'm just not convinced the reward of doing the AI now will justify the additional cost .

That makes sense. I can see that, it really wouldnt benefit to go bigger with that barrel. I do plan to go to a slimmer longer barrel when I burn this one. It is likely I will eventually go from the ground up with a stiller tac 338 but if this action works good I'll just rebarrel it in the future

That barrels not that short. I shoot 26 in both my Normas. The 250-300 grn. pill is a hammer and the lapua is substantial. My hunting bud shots 300 win and the 100 grn more bullet in the 338 is noticable in rock and steel shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.